lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
Vinnyp402
Not Yet Wild

Default 23” all terrain tires or 21” low profile street tires

Looking at new wheels for my club car. I mostly drive on street but occasionally take it off road a bit. What’s better for performance and speed. 23” all terrain tires 255/45/14 or street tires at 205/30/14. Thanks in advance.
Vinnyp402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Re: 23” all terrain tires or 21” low profile street tires

Taller the tire the faster you’ll go on top end......but you lose torque. If your mainly street I’d stick with the non aggressive style.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have two different questions there you can get a 23” all terrain tire or street tire as well as low profile. Taller tire gives speed with loss of torque, low profile looks cool but is less forgiving on bumps as there is no cushion, and depending on the tire all terrain can be loud when cruising and I mean real loud! I would balance if you really need aggressive tread or not then look at size.

I’m personally looking for some 23” street tires now due to how loud mine are! At 25mph or more it sounds like a **** monster truck, my neighbors swear the can hear me 1/4 mile away. My small amount off non street use is pretty mild terrain and I’m ready for a switch.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
You have two different questions there you can get a 23” all terrain tire or street tire as well as low profile. Taller tire gives speed with loss of torque, low profile looks cool but is less forgiving on bumps as there is no cushion, and depending on the tire all terrain can be loud when cruising and I mean real loud! I would balance if you really need aggressive tread or not then look at size.

I’m personally looking for some 23” street tires now due to how loud mine are! At 25mph or more it sounds like a **** monster truck, my neighbors swear the can hear me 1/4 mile away. My small amount off non street use is pretty mild terrain and I’m ready for a switch.
I agree completely.

I absolutely hated all the racket that the "howlers" that came from the factory on my lifted Onward made. I think they were Kenda / Kraken, but they were AT type tread - not all that aggressive but just horribly noisy. I hear even worse go by in my neighborhood though - there are some really nasty tread designs out there as far as noise goes - and these folks drive on the street almost exclusively...

Anyway, I went with "Street Fox" DOT rated radials that have a somewhat aggressive tread and are suitable for occasional lighter off road use (which I never do) and - most importantly for me - they are SUPER quiet on the street. And smooth - very round (at least my set). I use higher speeds sometimes (mid to high 30's) and they are incredibly smooth and quiet even at those speeds. I would recommend if you are on pavement 90% or more of the time. The factory AT tires were so loud at higher speeds it was way beyond annoying. I'm sure to everybody else around also - not just whoever was riding in the cart.

I'll say they have basically a performance profile, meaning they have a flat footprint on the road, so basically the entire width of the tire contacts the road (great for cornering as they have max grip on the road, and that's a good thing for lifted carts esp.), but as a result they may ride a little stiffer - not positive on this but pretty sure. Lots of tires out there - esp. off road and AT type tread tend to have a round(er) tire shape, so only the middle part of the tread touches the road, and this allows the tire to flex down some more when hitting bumps. On mine, the sidewall is basically all that can flex if you hit a bump, but I only run about 12 psi in mine (20 is max) since my cart is very light due to lithium battery. Mine are the 23" size, on 14" wheels (which I had already). If I did it over again I'd probably go 12" wheels with the same 23" diameter (which they make). I'd lose a little cornering stability and feel with the taller sidewall, but likely pick up a little in the ride smoothness department.

Anyway, I was in your exact situation and this was a good solution for me. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Street Fox Radials.jpg (105.2 KB, 0 views)
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car