lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Default A predicament..

So, I can't decide on my wife's Christmas present... Do I upgrade the 98 DS's controller and Motor (thinking level 4 from Revolution), or do I go to a Lithium battery pack instead?

Battery pack is still in good shape, working fine...but I do have an old Yamaha 36v that could use some batteries...

If I upgrade the motor and controller, am I sinking money into an old cart I may not ever get my money out of? (I probably won't anyway..haha)

i have a 3" spindle lift and new wheels/tires as well as heavy rear leaf kit and back seat kit on it.

I have a thought, that if I get a newer cart one day, I could take my lithium battery with me, and sell the cart as is...and recover a bit of what I have into it as not everyone wants to spend the money on lithium.

Is there something I am missing that would make this a no brainer one way or the other?
Clarkwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: A predicament..

I would rethink the 3" spindle lift. The rest is fine.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think I would go with motor/controller upgrades before lithium. You’ll get much more noticeable gains out of it than running lithium on an otherwise stock cart. Then later down the road if you swap lithium you’ll really be able to crank it

That’s just my opinion anyway.

As for sinking money into an old cart... DS really don’t “lose” value after a certain point. Especially upon resale, and I personally think this is because 99% of people don’t know the difference between a 1993 and a 2013. They look quite similar and as long as it’s in good shape, works like it should, age isn’t really as important as condition.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with CP241 the DS is a great cart it will run forever. A new controller and motor will do wonders. A new body and lithium battery in the future will make it brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I would rethink the 3" spindle lift. The rest is fine.
I already have the lift in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I think I would go with motor/controller upgrades before lithium. You’ll get much more noticeable gains out of it than running lithium on an otherwise stock cart. Then later down the road if you swap lithium you’ll really be able to crank it

That’s just my opinion anyway.

As for sinking money into an old cart... DS really don’t “lose” value after a certain point. Especially upon resale, and I personally think this is because 99% of people don’t know the difference between a 1993 and a 2013. They look quite similar and as long as it’s in good shape, works like it should, age isn’t really as important as condition.

Fair enough, makes sense. Hope she likes it!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
I agree with CP241 the DS is a great cart it will run forever. A new controller and motor will do wonders. A new body and lithium battery in the future will make it brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new body...hmm.. And now we have her birthday present covered! You guys are great! lol

but in all seriousness...this all makes sense. I am hoping to do a new paint/wrap job on the body this Spring. It will be/is my store cart. We host a lot of (disc) golf tournaments...and on golf courses some of them.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It’s all fun. I’m currently debating whether to leave the (fresh) jet black paint job on my project cart or go with a blue ghost pearl on top of the black base coat.

I’ve never tried a wrap. I don’t have the patience to get rid of all the wrinkles and bubbles
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #8
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
It’s all fun. I’m currently debating whether to leave the (fresh) jet black paint job on my project cart or go with a blue ghost pearl on top of the black base coat.

I’ve never tried a wrap. I don’t have the patience to get rid of all the wrinkles and bubbles
There are some really good perforated/air release films for just that problem. Luckily, we also own a sign shop and have the printers to redo my screwups! We don't normally include wraps in our services..but for my own stuff, I would certainly give it a go.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=Clarkwho;1786003)If I upgrade the motor and controller, am I sinking money into an old cart I may not ever get my money out of? (I probably won't anyway..haha)[/QUOTE]

I have over $4000.00 invested in mine. I'm sure someone would buy it for $2000.00.

So I'm not selling it!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
minimac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You don't upgrade motors, controllers etc., hoping to get your money back. Just consider it the cost of enjoyment while you have it. A clean, pretty, good looking cart will always be worth more than something "hopped up" to most used cart buyers.
minimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car