lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #21
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina
Default Re: chargers

This might be off topic a little but I've been told that the ERIC charger will charge lithium batteries. Which ones?
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #22
chetv10
Not Yet Wild

OK Scotty witch charger do i need 1050w or 650 watt our carts are all at least 10 years old and haven't been modified .have interstate battery's. we have potable water, non potable water, fertilized water, every year someone fills a battery or 2 with fertilized so no use in buying better battery's.let me know,
Paul
chetv10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #23
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The devil is in the details, Lester chargers only have two profiles for "Lithium" and they are for the LiFePO4 chemistry only.

It gets confusing because in their marketing Lester say it works for Lithium batteries without qualifying that statement to the very narrow range of Lithium chemistry they support.

One of the reasons is that the LiFePO4 batteries were partially designed to replace Lead Acid chemistry and have similar charge profiles and more importantly can handle (within reason) overcharge without damage.

Z7What, I just saw your link for golfcartgarage and they are wrong, Lester supports Lithium-iron and not any Lithium-ion.

I’m glad I found this, I was about to order one for use with a set of Gen 3 Leaf batteries. [emoji15]

That being said, what charger is recommended for what appears to be Lithium Ion Gen 3 leaf batteries? If it had “smart” capabilities that would be great.

This is what it says about the Gen 3 batteries. The specific chemistry is not mentioned.

Quote:
Cells are NMC cathode construction made by AESC. These NMC cells are rated at 3.65V nominal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #24
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Sergio,

In looking on Lester’s website they say they do support Lithium Ion charging.

Their app also lists profiles for lithium and LifePo4 as well.

Where did you see that they did not support Li-ion charging?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As I mentioned in the previous post, the devil is in the details.

You should not make general assumptions about specific lithium applications.

Unless Lester has recently made significant changes in the design of the charger, they take a very narrow approach to which lithium applications are supported.

If You have a 12S or 16S LiFePO4 pack and want to charge to 100% it will work fine, but most of us building these packs charge to a custom voltage less than 90% in order to increase longevity and/or allow for headroom in case of Regenerative motor brakes.

See this reply from their technical support manager:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...20applications

If You decide to try it out please post details about your pack and how it is working for you.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got "tricked" into thinking it would work on my cart also, Mike; don't fall for it! In the end I received a similar email like Sergio posted from Mike S. (head engineer?) at Lester and was unable (or unwilling to find a workaround) to make it work for my application; that cost me $100 as Lester would not take the charger back (I had it longer than 45 days, which is the max amount of return days). In the end I ordered a custom Schauer that was not a whole bunch more than the Lester and have been very happy with it.

I believe that the Lester charger is a great charger for FLA and maybe the small range of Lithium, but they are very limited in Lithium.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #27
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default chargers

I’m not saying either of you are wrong. Sergio you in particular know way more about these carts that I will for a very long time.

If the information on their website and their app is incorrect, they need to be called out on it because it is very misleading.

Simicrintz can you please share the information on which model you bought and where you bought it from?

I will have (2) 7S Leaf Gen 3 lithium ion packs in series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #28
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought my Lester Summit II (Model 30600) from Golf Cart Garage (before I knew better than to use site sponsors-hard lesson learned). Here are a few quotes from Bill S. at Lester when we were trying to work through using this charger for my application:

When questioning maximum voltage: "72 volts. There is no way to limit this charger's voltage output".

"Lester Chargers only support Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries".

"Attempting to charge Lithium Ion batteries with a Lester Charger is extremely dangerous. Do your batteries have a built in battery management system that prevents over charging? What is the maximum volts per cell your batteries will accept"?

I made a mistake ordering that charger for my application, and when I got guff from the seller and Lester I decided to pass on any info that I could to help others considering this charger for anything other than FLA's. It was a costly mistake that I am trying to help others avoid. Again, I think this is an awesome charger for its intended application.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:38 PM   #29
Mike from Texas
Getting Wild

Default chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I bought my Lester Summit II (Model 30600) from Golf Cart Garage (before I knew better than to use site sponsors-hard lesson learned). Here are a few quotes from Bill S. at Lester when we were trying to work through using this charger for my application:

When questioning maximum voltage: "72 volts. There is no way to limit this charger's voltage output".

"Lester Chargers only support Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries".

"Attempting to charge Lithium Ion batteries with a Lester Charger is extremely dangerous. Do your batteries have a built in battery management system that prevents over charging? What is the maximum volts per cell your batteries will accept"?

I made a mistake ordering that charger for my application, and when I got guff from the seller and Lester I decided to pass on any info that I could to help others considering this charger for anything other than FLA's. It was a costly mistake that I am trying to help others avoid. Again, I think this is an awesome charger for its intended application.

Thanks. I was questioning where though bought your Schaeur charger. Their website leaves a lot to be desired.

I saw that about the Summit. A 48V charger that will out put up to 72V? What is to keep it from frying a set of FLA batteries?

I sent a question into Bill today about the information on their website and app.

He responded saying that they supports certain OEM Li-Ion batteries where they have requested a custom profile to be made.

I told him my setup was not a cart manufactured battery but rather a Leaf G3 pack. Said my desired cutoff voltage was 4.05VPC or pack voltage of 56.7V.

Will see how he responds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #30
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Lester creates a profile for a 14S pack @4.05vpc that will be great for lithium pack setup like the Leaf cells that most users would use.

They do need to make sure it stays in the "Constant Voltage" phase at the end and does not exceed the 4.05vpc.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car