lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Does this hurt my cart?

I use my cart to ride around on our rural property. I'm a bird/nature watcher. I drive pretty slowly most of the time, and when I stop to watch something, I've noticed that I keep pressure on the accelerator, rather than taking my foot completely off, when the cart is stopped. I got to wondering if this is bad to do?
And I read somewhere that driving the cart slowly all the time isn't good for it. Is this true?
Thanks for your help.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does this hurt my cart?

The farther from wide open the accelerator is held, the more resistance the the controller produces to keep the cart at a given speed. The more resistance used, the more heat the controller produces. Heat is BAD for controllers. Controllers are cumulatively damaged; the more they are used, the closer to failure they get.

Is this a fair layman's explanation?
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It is not a good practice to leave your foot on the pedal when the cart is stopped.
If the throttle is depressed far enough it effectively is leaving the motor in a stalled condition with a small amount of power flowing to the motor, this can burn the motor commutator.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks kab and Doug,

I will try to retrain myself to always remove my foot off the pedal when I'm stopped. I guess there's not much I can do about going slow most of the time. Would it help at all to speed up for a little while? Would that cool it off? But in my case, that's just not do-able, since I'm driving through rough fields and woods.
I guess I just have to accept that with the way I am using the cart (viewing nature), it might shorten the life of some of the components.
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think driving it slow will hurt it. but holding it at a stalled state will. As said above it will burn out the controller. I stalled state (foot on peddle but not moving) is a stalled state. whether it is what you are doing or holding the gas and brake at same time(no this personally, **** kids). or pushing/pulling something and not moving. all the same results, although some will happen faster.

good luck.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks fish!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO