lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
jmathias0001
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 pds upgrades

i am looking to upgrade my 2008 pds ezgo to 48 volt and i know that i need a charger solenod controller and of course battries but the batts i have now are still in decent shape and i was wanting to upgrade in stages what is the best way to go
jmathias0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 pds upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathias0001 View Post
....................the batts i have now are still in decent shape and i was wanting to upgrade in stages what is the best way to go
Welcome to BGW!

If I was going to go to 48V and wanted to use my existing batteries a bit longer, I'd get a programmable controller that works with both 36V & 48V (IE: Alltrax DCX400PDS or DCX500PDS) and dial it back to run with the stock solenoid if I couldn't find a 36-48V solenoid.

Then I'd get a good 48V charger (Used Lester or new DCI)

From there, it depends on whether you plan on using 8 x 6V or 6 x 8V to get 48V.

If going the 8 x 6V route, I'd try to find a couple good used 6V batteries about the same capacity, age and condition as the other six and work the bugs out of the setup before springing for a new set.

If going 6 x 8V, you have to go with new batteries.

In either case, I'd install all new high current cables (The stock ones are open ended and corrosion gets inside the stranded copper. Mine looked good, but had high resistance. )

When you get the new batteries, be sure to charge them fully before first use and then break them in properly to get maximum storage capacity.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathias0001 View Post
i am looking to upgrade my 2008 pds ezgo to 48 volt and i know that i need a charger solenod controller and of course battries but the batts i have now are still in decent shape and i was wanting to upgrade in stages what is the best way to go
Welcome to bgw! A 2008 PDS is a great cart to upgrade to 48v. The increase in voltage will wake your stock motor up. You shouldn't need more than 400amps unless you are trying for really big tires or racing times. A HD solenoid is a given as are 4g cables to deliver the increase in amperage to the motor. We have been having very good results with the DPI 5 stage 48v charger. It comes with a plug to match any cart for a reasonable price.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
jmathias0001
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info. scotty b i have been doing some research and your 808 package seems to be the cheapest online but does it include the wiring harness and is the solenoid 36-48 volt or just 36volt and 48 volt. im just running a stock cart so thanks for help
jmathias0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO