lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Battery Problems on TXT

My neighbor has a late 90's Fleet cart that his wife had fixed up for him a few years ago. He had a cart shop replace the batteries back in December. They installed a new set of 6V Interstate batteries. He used it over the holidays, charged it back up and put it in his shed at the lake haouse. he showed up yesterday and the cart was totally dead. I looked at each battery with a volt meter and all 6 batteries were 2V or less. Of course the charger wouldn't turn on when he plugged it in which is why I got the phone call.

My question is that it seems very strange to me that the batteries would all totally drain in 2 months without being on a charger. Is that normal? He's calling the cart shop today that replaced the batteries. I am wondering if it would help to use a 12 v charger and charge the pack two batteries at a time? Not sure if they can be brought back from the dead or not, so thought I would ask.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Problems on TXT

I'd wait to hear what the cart shop says before messing with them.

If he stored the cart on January 1st, it's been sitting for about 72 days and at the nominal self discharge rate of 1% per day, they should still be reading close to 5.8V each, unless there was something else drawing current from them.

You didn't mention location, but if they froze they are junk.

If the cart shop tells your neighbor to go fly a kite, try the 12V charger on two at a time and see if they'll come up to about 6V each and then connect up the 36V charger.

Be sure the electrolyte covers the plates and use only distilled water, but only add enough to cover plates until batteries are fully charged.

I doubt if they will recover 100%, but he still might get some use out of them.

It doesn't sound like they were ever broken in, so if they take a charge, try doing the new battery break in procedure found here.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

I checked the acid and everything is good there. All the connections are good and they isntalled new cables. We have had some freezing weather, but I've got two carts two doors down in an unheated garage with no issues. The only difference is mine were on their chargers and his wasn't plugged in.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
I checked the acid and everything is good there. All the connections are good and they isntalled new cables. We have had some freezing weather, but I've got two carts two doors down in an unheated garage with no issues. The only difference is mine were on their chargers and his wasn't plugged in.

Thanks for the help!
That makes a big difference. Batteries with less than a 50% charge are easily frozen. The batteries have been left in a state of a 72% discharge. That may void the warranty. A certain amount of responsibility comes along with owning a golf cart. Keeping the batteries charged up is an important part of that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

We're in East Texas and it's been a pretty mild winter. Most everyone in this addition has some kind of golf cart as well. So anytime someone has an issue, I get to hear about it!! Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO