lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cable passing through that hole?

Makes good sense to me, I'll go with a copper stud, easy enough.

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
By-passing the OBC may have worked on old versions of the OBC, but don't do it. I posted this last year.

Why You should not bypass the OBC
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
what size stud do you use for the pass through?
I cant remember what size I used. Seems like it was 5/16" or 3/8". I would use the largest one that would fit while encased in some type of insulating substance, like tape or shrink wrap. I used brass since it is more conductive than steel.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
Makes good sense to me, I'll go with a copper stud, easy enough.

thanks.
I like the idea of a copper stud, but could not locate one.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had a hard time finding copper threaded studs and nuts myself, so I went with Brass too.
I used a 5/16 bolt so I would have the same size lugs on all cables, 2 ga cable is about 1/4 inch diameter (copper only), I would think a 5/16 bolt should be plenty.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
By-passing the OBC may have worked on old versions of the OBC, but don't do it. I posted this last year.

Why You should not bypass the OBC
Its an interesting read and been posted before. Since I dont know what the obc reads I cant comment. Common sense leads me to believe it is BS since a DPI charger does a great job charging just knowing current voltage and how much charge bats are taking during the process. I suspect that is what the OBC is doing during the charging process as well but think that would be in voltage reading, not amp flow.

Anyway, use a stud if it helps you sleep better.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

A DPI charger pretty much has the OBC built into it. CC says that the OBC records how many amps were drained from the pack when the cart was in service, then tells the charger to replace exactly that many amps when it charges. Not sure if that is true or not, but a CC Powerdrive charger does need the OBC to function properly.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Its an interesting read and been posted before. Since I dont know what the obc reads I cant comment. Common sense leads me to believe it is BS since a DPI charger does a great job charging just knowing current voltage and how much charge bats are taking during the process. I suspect that is what the OBC is doing during the charging process as well but think that would be in voltage reading, not amp flow.

Anyway, use a stud if it helps you sleep better.
Assuming the information is correct in the club car manuals, the OBC setup would definitely be a better charger system.
The delta voltage/delta time model of the DPI type systems is pretty nice and very accurate for a single battery, things get a little more difficult when 1 or 2 batteries on the pack charge faster (out of balance pack).
Without a good Battery Management System, where you charge each battery individually, I believe the Coulometric type energy replacement the OBC attempts to do is the best option.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #18
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Assuming the information is correct in the club car manuals, the OBC setup would definitely be a better charger system.
The delta voltage/delta time model of the DPI type systems is pretty nice and very accurate for a single battery, things get a little more difficult when 1 or 2 batteries on the pack charge faster (out of balance pack).
Without a good Battery Management System, where you charge each battery individually, I believe the Coulometric type energy replacement the OBC attempts to do is the best option.
The obc is a piece of shi*, of course I do not live and die by a manual. Also the dpi trickle charges and pulse charges when cart is not in use, much better for long term maintenance. You have to remember cc is mainly designed for fleet use and every day golf cart use. Again club car obc is junk, do not drink the koolaide, peace out.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Geez... ease up a little bit SC!

I'm not saying a CC OBC, and Power Drive charger are better then a DPI charger,
OBC's are usually the first thing to go bad on a CC sparky, and they're expensive to replace, right?
BUT... if you have a perfectly good OBC, and PD charger, why not use them?
Yep... you could remove and sell the OBC and charger to offset the cost of a DPI charger, but, some people just don't want to do that!

scooterman just wants to upgrade his cables, and use his existing stuff,
If, and when his OBC goes out, it'll be his choice to either replace the OBC or get a DPI charger.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #20
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Was Jim Jones into CC golf carts? I am missing the comment about the koolaid.

I fully understand the opinion on the OBC set up, but the koolaid is gone.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car