lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

Default Opinion on batts

I have a 1997 CC DS with T-875s. One has gone bad (dead cell), the others are reading 8.3 volts using a DMM. My question is are these batts still in good shape? The chart in the stickys said they should read 8.49 volts at full charge. Just wanting to know is the whole pack shot or can I get by on buying just one batt.
txstringbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Opinion on batts

Voltage after charging is not telling the whole story. You need to load test them to tell more about their condition.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A SOC test done at any time will give a good comparison of the battery condition. A good hydrometer can be had at any auto parts store. (not the floating balls type through) What you are looking for is not only a 12.77 (at 80*F) but the difference between cells (not more than 20 points) and the difference between batteries within the pack.
Your voltage reading is only 80% - so if you have charged within 24 hours and not run the cart I'd say you need new batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no way he is getting a good charge with a dead cell, so any SOC measurements will be inaccurate.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There is no way he is getting a good charge with a dead cell, so any SOC measurements will be inaccurate.
This what I'm thinking. The dead cell is acting as a resister at this point right?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

How old are the batteries?
Did you buy them new or did they come with the cart?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Curious how you suggest he test the batteries.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I absolutely agree with the test procedure you described, I was just pointing out he is not getting a good charge and therefore the results would not be valid (or the assumption of what the results mean would not be valid).
Aside from having an 8v or a 24v charger to charge the batteries individually or in a group, I would take a chance based on the age and origin of the batteries.
If I bought them new, took good care of them and they are less than 4 years old, I would try an used one and charge the pack.
If the origin of the batteries is unknown (came with the cart) and are more than 3 years old, I would just buy new ones.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
txstringbender
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
How old are the batteries?
Did you buy them new or did they come with the cart?
They are probably 6 years old. They came with the cart. The guy said they were 2 years old and I've had the cart for 4 years now. I've done my dangdest to maintain them properly. I know they are getting close to needing replacement. The cost of a full set is just hard to swallow right now. I can get the Energizers at SAMs for $100 a piece. Not sure I want to go back with the Trojans at $150 a piece. If I played golf every day and ran it constant I would think about the Trojans but I use it to get to my deer stand and the occasional round of golf.

What I'd like to do is trade it straight up for a gas cart of the same caliber.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What I meant was for him to look for any imbalance in the batteries. A pack of batteries that reads 12.50 all the way across is still usable if there is no big difference between any of the cells in any of the batteries.

Based upon the age of the batteries he is due for a new set.
Replacing the failed battery with a used battery will hold them over until the next one fails. This may be a week or maybe two or three months. That's a roll the dice. If the budget is tight, this may be a good way to go.

I'm sorry if my post was miss understood
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car