lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Catastrophic motor failure - smells like it killed my new controller as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
What do you guys think.......7,000+ rpm?
Check with your motor manufacturer for the max RPM.

With 23" tires, you probably won't see 7k, except WOT downhill or on jackstands.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #22
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Catastrophic motor failure - smells like it killed my new controller as well

Agree with Johnny and the others. Just a very momentary blip of the throttle on the drag cart sends the motor to 7k rpm. Not a good idea to run any cart on jack stands for anything other than to verify movement and direction.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Just a very momentary blip of the throttle on the drag cart sends the motor to 7k rpm....
yea ? whats your motor rated at 12,000 rpm ?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
yea ? whats your motor rated at 12,000 rpm ?
Yes, but I'm guessing the OP's was not. I honestly never realized that those little blips were pushing the motor that high until I got one with a tach drive. I'm much more careful now. Motors under no load will go into orbit.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just a question out of curiosity.....but my hunting cart alltrax controller is set for max torque and not so much for speed. (48-volt) My top speed on a flat surface is about 7-mph. I've had my cart on jackstands to verify direction and to make sure "stuff" was working properly, but I never did a full out max it, even with the low speed setting of the controller.

Just wondering if, with the speed setting at low, this would still cause such a motor burn? Or perhaps I should say "much less of a chance of a motor burn."

OTOH, I'm glad I read this. I will never give it a full throttle when it's up on stands.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The motor didn't burn up, it self destructed from exceeding it's rpm limit.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's impossible to protect a solid state motor controller with a fuse. It will protect against slow overloads but not the instant short that is caused when the motor lets go. Even an open circuit when current is flowing can kill the output devices in a motor controller. The inductance causes a huge voltage spike that will rise until something shorts out.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
crash test dummy

Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Just a question out of curiosity.....but my hunting cart alltrax controller is set for max torque and not so much for speed. (48-volt) My top speed on a flat surface is about 7-mph. I've had my cart on jackstands to verify direction and to make sure "stuff" was working properly, but I never did a full out max it, even with the low speed setting of the controller.

Just wondering if, with the speed setting at low, this would still cause such a motor burn? Or perhaps I should say "much less of a chance of a motor burn."

OTOH, I'm glad I read this. I will never give it a full throttle when it's up on stands.

Dave
I take it that you have the Max Output Current slider set to 100% and the Top Speed slider set to 50%.

I'm not quite sure how Alltrtax manages to limit high end torque (top speed) without limiting low end torque, but they would have to use current flow vs voltage as one of the factors and when the expected mechanical load on the motor is removed, that calculation goes out the window, so having the Top Speed slider at minimum may not prevent your motor from over-revving.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
kb1sxv
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaferz View Post
yep - i know that now. Hah! Not sure how many rpm's it was actually turning, but i'd imagine if we were on road - wot - i may have been close to this many rpm's? Like i said - glad it happened in the garage and not on the road with wife and kids aboard. Could have gotten ugly real quick.

For anyone interested in more carnage pictures - below are some more shots. Motor was already gone, so i snipped the f1/f2 leads so i could push the armature/endplate out of the back end of the case.

epic carnage.

Mods feel free to sticky this is a maintenance section - never ever ever ever ever go wide open throttle on jack stands. Destruction is imminent.
holy crap! Sorry man :(
kb1sxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO