lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
VizFish
Not Yet Wild

Default Brakes Squelching

Just purchased a rebuilt EZ Go. New brakes installed. Every time I let up on the gas of my EZ Go cart, my back brakes (mostly the back left) starts squelching as it slows. Worse, when I push on the brakes, it starts to squelch as well (more pronounced). When I let go of the gas, and the cart starts to slow, I can turn left or right with the cart (as the momentum is still pushing the cart), and the squelching/squeeking is more pronounced during those turns.

I jacked up the cart to see what was going on. When I pushed on the gas and then let the gas go....no squelching. When I pushed on the gas and then pressed the brakes....no squelching. So it appears that the noise is happening with the weight of the cart somehow causing something in the brakes to make a horrible noise. Not sure....looking for input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (37.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (37.5 KB, 0 views)
VizFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Brakes Squelching

Could be a brake hub or axle bearing. Pull the rear wheels and make sure the castle nuts are tight. Should be close to 140ft lbs. If noise is still the same after that I would assume bearing.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
VizFish
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply KGSC. I'll take a look at the castle nuts and possibly bearing.

Just curious - what do you think is causing the noise to "go away" when I push on the gas? Noise only occurs when I slow or press the brakes?
VizFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pushing on the gas causes torque in the hub so under load there is no slack for lack of a better word..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it isn't loose castle nuts or bearings, try adjusting the tension on the brake cables. They may be too tight.

The axle housing with the cable mounting bracket attached, rotates slightly during deceleration and braking, which tightens the tension.

My motor shifts a few inches to the rear during hard acceleration and a few inches forward during hard regen braking and with your taller tires, it may be more.
----------
Also, you have new disk brakes and the pads are going to be rubbing against the disk all the time, so after the newness is worn off the new pads and disks, the squeaks and squeals may go away.

Let us know what you find.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My squeal was axle bearings after I added 2" spacers, the noise was worse when leaning right or left. On the ausco brakes there are sliders that pull in the pads, mine squealed some and some spray lithium fixed it. A little shot once in awhile both sides, both brakes keep them quiet. Wipe the old stuff before you spray, the grease attracts dirt.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO