lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Robflor7
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV steering box help

I have a 2012 RXV and I think it's time to replace the steering box. Both rod ends have ruptured and there are clunking sounds when turning to the extremes.

I see steering boxes running the full range from 70 to 300 dollars. I get that the cheap ones are Chinese junk, but the somewhere in the middle one's seem to come from decent companies. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of steering boxes for the RXV that don't come from EZGO?
Robflor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV steering box help

get ezgo part aprox $200 and is a complete unit with tie rods and if i remember correctly tie rod ends(outer) included.

Please correct if my memory is faulty.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
Robflor7
Not Yet Wild

So the genuine ezgo 618329 is around $300. The next level down that looks to have similar quality is in the mid $100 range. Below that appears to be the less than $100 range of China knock offs.

Does anyone have any experience with the middle range of steering racks that they can share?
Robflor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I bet there are 2 steering boxes- the OEM one, and the cheap China one sold through various outlets at various prices.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Our club had a fleet of 2012 RXV's. When the club brought in new fleet of 2016's, the club offered the best of the old carts to members for $1750 (trade in value). I do nearly all of the work on fellow member carts and I have replaced steering boxes on five of the 2012's in the last two years. If it was my guess, the Chinese ones are just as good as what EZGO bought from China as original parts. If the factory originals are failing that quick, why spend money on something that is not any better than the knockoffs. Just my experience with them. Two pennies worth.....
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
rngilliland
Gone Wild

I replaced the steering rack on my RXV about two years ago with one from ebay. It was about $90. I use the cart three or four times a week for golf and the rack has worked fine.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
570kringer
Not Yet Wild

I have replaced 6 so far and all were Chinese units and work well then I rebuilt 4.The boots rips and it leaves dirt and water get in rack . If you take rack out of cart you can take it apart by pulling off driver side tie rod and then turn upside down remove thin lock nut and plug there is a spring and a guide under cup then take rubber cover off shaft were it connects to steering column remove seal (just pull out)remove snap ring pullout shaft and bearing. clean all grease out then I took a file to long shaft removed heavy burrs then sanded lightly and but grease in tube then,reassembled put long shaft in first and then bearing assembly next then turn over put guide in first then i stuck 3-4 10/32 washer in bushing then spring and reassembled you can adjust pressure on plug so it take all the slop out of rack. And its FREE and I have done 4 so far with no problems.
570kringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO