lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Rlawson
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 Club Car 48V Voltage Problem

Hey all. I have a 1996 Club Car 48V (A9605-485449) with the v-glide that I picked up the other day. The rotary F&R switch was bad so I replaced it. After I replaced it I backed it down the driveway just fine, when I switched over to Forward, the cart died and I lost all power. I now have it on jack stands and every so often I can push the gas it will try and turn the wheels but wont. I have 50 volts pack voltage and I have found that when I have the big yellow wire going from solenoid to controller, hooked up I loose all voltage but as soon as I disconnect it I get pack voltage back at the solenoid. Any ideas on where to start? Please help!!
Rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 Club Car 48V Voltage Problem

I'm not sure what you have going on, but I would check all the cables you messed with very closely.

Had you run the cart at all before this?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where are You measuring the voltage that disappears with the yellow cable connected?

Is this the cart You have?

If it is double check the cables and wires on the FNR switch You replaced, make sure the swivel posts on the FNR go to Motor S1 and S2 terminals.

Also make sure the Controller B+ goes to Motor A1 and Controller A2 to Motor A2.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Rlawson
Not Yet Wild

Yes that is the cart I have and I have triple checked all the wires making sure they're where they should be. I'm measuring voltage at main+ and at the solenoid where the yellow wire is that goes to B+ on the controller. If I unhook yellow from the solenoid or from B+ then pack voltage comes back to 50v but as soon as its hooked back up it drains it down again like the co troller is sucking the voltage down. That make sense?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am still not sure where each of Your meter probes are placed, the main pack positive battery is the same connection as one of the solenoid big posts.

If the other side of the Solenoid big post has no connections after you remove the yellow cable (not a wire) there cannot not be any voltage reading.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Only two ways it makes sense are you meter is not connected to the main pack negative.
Or you have a loose or corroded connection at the main Pack positive that supplies pack voltage to the solenoid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Rlawson
Not Yet Wild

My fault, I have the black probe of my DVM on pack- and red probe on pack+. When I have the yellow wire that goes from the large post of solenoid to the B+ of the controller my pack voltage drops anywhere from 6-10V, but if I disconnect that yellow wire from the solenoid then my pack voltage jumps back up to 50V
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep that yellow cable connected and measure the voltage in each individual battery when the voltage drops, You may have a bad battery.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Rlawson
Not Yet Wild

I have done that too and I get around 8.4V on each one. Even put a load tester on each battery and they check out good under a load as well
Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlawson View Post
I have done that too and I get around 8.4V on each one. Even put a load tester on each battery and they check out good under a load as well
Ok, 8.4v x 6 batteries = 50.4v, in this case the voltage drop you are seeing is between the batteries.

Put your meter negative probe on pack negative and keep it there for the entire test.

Measure the first battery positive battery post, it should be 8.4v.

Then move the meter positive probe to the next battery positive post, it should increase another 8.4v or 16.8v now.

Keep moving the meter positive probe to the next battery positive post until you see the voltage go down or not increase by 8.4v from the previous measurement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car