lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Need Schematic for V-glide F/R switch

When I help people with their carts, instead of just fixing for them, I try to teach (those that want to know) so they can DIY in the future.

I am trying to show someone with a v glide resistor cart how/where they messed up. I need a schematic or wiring diagram for a v-glide F/R switch that shows how the low-speed reverse wire connection works.

His V-glide failed and he replaced it and his batteries at the same time. He had a middle battery turned backward and connected the green reverse wire to the negative battery terminal instead of the positive and melted his brand new v-glide.

I need the diagram/schematic to illustrate to him exactly how/where he created the dead short.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need Schematic for V-glide F/R switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
When I help people with their carts, instead of just fixing for them, I try to teach (those that want to know) so they can DIY in the future.

I am trying to show someone with a v glide resistor cart how/where they messed up. I need a schematic or wiring diagram for a v-glide F/R switch that shows how the low-speed reverse wire connection works.

His V-glide failed and he replaced it and his batteries at the same time. He had a middle battery turned backward and connected the green reverse wire to the negative battery terminal instead of the positive and melted his brand new v-glide.

I need the diagram/schematic to illustrate to him exactly how/where he created the dead short.
In case anyone else is looking, there is great info on the vglide F/R switch here: https://www.golfcartstuffhodgepodge.com/chapter-9/
Old 08-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can get wiring diagrams in the Stickies.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
You can get wiring diagrams in the Stickies.
I did not see one in the stickies with the level of detail on the F/R switch itself that I needed.

However, the link it my prior post did have it, just not 100% sure if that was applicable to the later years of the CC resistor cart.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

is this it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vg.jpg (184.9 KB, 0 views)
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPutt View Post
is this it?
No, that is for a cart with an electronic controller and multi-step potentiometer.

I was looking for V-Glide for last year of the resistor carts, specifically, the F/R switch diagram.

I found most of what I needed was in the link I posted above, assuming it is accurate for the later models of the resistor carts.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The main difference from the older to the newer (using this term loosely) models of the Resistor carts is the key switch power:

I think the diagrams below are easier to visualize the actual parts involved.

Older models with negative key switch:

Newer models with positive key switch:

This diagram shows You how to add a "High Speed By-pass" Solenoid so when You are at full throttle no current is going through the VGlide*:
* Please note that You cannot use reduced voltage for Reverse in this case.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The main difference from the older to the newer (using this term loosely) models of the Resistor carts is the key switch power:

I think the diagrams below are easier to visualize the actual parts involved.

Older models with negative key switch:

Newer models with positive key switch:

This diagram shows You how to add a "High Speed By-pass" Solenoid so when You are at full throttle no current is going through the VGlide*:
* Please note that You cannot use reduced voltage for Reverse in this case.
I am just curious, on the high speed bypass, can you help me understand why the second activation wire on the second solenoid is connected to A1 instead of battery negative?
Old 08-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is because in those carts the voltage at the VGlide pads is different in Forward vs Reverse.

If You follow the Main Solenoid that powers the VGlide, You will notice in Forward the Solenoid is connected to pack positive but in Reverse the Main Solenoid is connected to S1 which has less than 1Ω resistance to the pack negative.

Since we are powering the "By-Pass" solenoid coil from the Vglide, we need to take in consideration the polarity change.

By connecting the other side of the "By-Pass" solenoid coil to Motor A1, when in Forward we get "negative" as Motor A1 connects to S1 that has less than 1Ω to pack negative.

When in Reverse, Motor A1 is connected to the reverse "Reduced Voltage" side of the FNR.

That is why You cannot have that connection going to 18v as typical since that would not be enough voltage to activate the "by-pass" Solenoid.

Also notice that there is no "fly-back" diode on the by-pass solenoid as the polarity of the coil wires will change from Forward to Reverse.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #10
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is because in those carts the voltage at the VGlide pads is different in Forward vs Reverse.

If You follow the Main Solenoid that powers the VGlide, You will notice in Forward the Solenoid is connected to pack positive but in Reverse the Main Solenoid is connected to S1 which has less than 1Ω resistance to the pack negative.

Since we are powering the "By-Pass" solenoid coil from the Vglide, we need to take in consideration the polarity change.

By connecting the other side of the "By-Pass" solenoid coil to Motor A1, when in Forward we get "negative" as Motor A1 connects to S1 that has less than 1Ω to pack negative.

When in Reverse, Motor A1 is connected to the reverse "Reduced Voltage" side of the FNR.

That is why You cannot have that connection going to 18v as typical since that would not be enough voltage to activate the "by-pass" Solenoid.

Also notice that there is no "fly-back" diode on the by-pass solenoid as the polarity of the coil wires will change from Forward to Reverse.
Thanks Sergio. I was overlooking the polarity reverse. Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car