lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default How does your lithium perform (really)

Starting a new thread here instead of the regular CC section as suggested

Just curious how different carts/setups/battery packs compare real world. We all know specs on paper don’t always translate to what happens on the pavement (or in the woods) so thought it might be fun to try and start a thread where we can compare readings.

If you’d like to participate, please post model/year/drive system of your cart. Battery pack, tire size, and speed. To keep it fair for anyone where there’s no hills (Tom) flat ground, and pavement for consistency.

Not scientific, just for fun :) I’m basing a couple runs from standing stop, to pedal to the floor and to cruising at speed, based on my renogy meter. I like how it can display current consumption but if you don’t have that, a fluke will do.

My cart is a 2008 DS. IQ drive system. Completely stock except for a speed magnet from revolution. 205/50-10 tires. Allied 48v batteries (x3) for 90aH. These 2 runs I got to 25mph which is about top speed for me flat pavement, with 3 kids in the cart plus myself playing around in my neighborhood.

Lowest voltage under load was about 50.5 for a short second and then it climbed back up. Max amperage draw was around 120A. I usually see around 50 amps while cruising full pedal. I charged the batteries last night, this was about 2 miles or so into our ride today. ~70 degrees and beautiful. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWCYApIP_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPCf2KWucQ
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How does your lithium perform (really)

Interesting thread; going to be following this for sure!

My info is in my sig, and I have very little seat time in the cart I am sorry to say :( I know that I am not getting full peddle (verified with my MM) and I have a code flashing on my controller that I have not cleared or addressed (I did stop in and see the guys at Eco Battery the other day and they are gonna mess with it a little bit when I get a chance to get it over there). Finished the build shortly before moving out of CA and just have not had time to mess with it here (and am living in a small rental while I build our house and most everything is packed away).

Using a GPS app on my phone I have hit 28 MPH on flat ground; I slow to low 20's when I grab my wife and a couple of friends. I have not had a chance to measure much, and what I have has been observations from months back that I cannot remember now! I am optimistic that I can break 30 MPH once the Eco guys take a look at the controller and clear the code, and once I am able to get full peddle (seems David has a peddle upgrade that I can grab and I probably need to do that).

Give me about six more months and everything should be out of storage and I can play around and have fun like the rest of you guys!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

From Tom47. His alltrax is programmed to limit amperage at 175 amps.

1999 Club Car DS, 72ah 48 volt Lithium battery, 35 to 40 mile range, 26 MPH on 18" tires, XCT-48400 IQ Controller, Admiral A-2 Motor, MCOR-4

Back to your original request, I have some data that may interest some, but unfortunately I am not able to post two videos of it. Anyway, here is what my Alltrax is set at:

Max motoring amps: 175
Regen amps: 70
Throttle: 45%
RPM: 5950

Todays ride was 11.6 miles, with 5 miles on a newly chip sealed road surface. I couldn't get over 24mph continuous on this surface. Lots of rolling resistance from the tar. About 6 miles of the ride was at top speed which I normally don't do. This accounts for the higher Ah per mile figure below, plus the chip seal surface. My normal rides are in the 1.4 Ah per mile range.

Chip Seal Road: The max amps from a stop with full pedal was 119.7. Cruising at 24mph amps were 65 to 68.

Asphalt Road: The max amps from a stop with full pedal was 115.1. Cruising at 25 to 26 amps were 55 to 59.

End of ride data:
11.6 miles, averaging 1.71 Ah per mile
52.44 volts
52.12 Ah
72.4% SOC
Top Speed 27mph
Old 05-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for pasting my info here. Here are the photos that were on the original post:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final 51.12 Ah.jpg (195.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Final 72.4% SOC.jpg (184.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Final 52.44 Volt.jpg (173.2 KB, 0 views)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Little update, came across a plum quick bandit. GE sepex motor. No clue on how range is affected yet, but max amperage from a stop is closer to 150 now. Top speed I’ve seen is 28mph on flat pavement, and it pulls way harder to get to speed. Cruising amperage at 28mph was about 75-80 amps. Cruising at 25mph closer to 60. After about 7 miles today, and driving it pretty hard (new motor gotta play!) sitting at 82% on the renogy meter.

I think removing the windshield would change that some. But it was kinda cool today, about 58 degrees. Should be high 70’s and low 80’s this weekend so I’ll pull off the windshield and confirm.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

2003 Club Car DS
Original motor/controller
Cart is lifted with Jake's 4" kit (was done by previous owner)
Tires are 22x11x10 on GTW wheels
Last year I replaced batteries with BigBattery.com BDGR kit 2x48v 80Ah
Per regulations, limited to 20mph - and not sure if I want to go any faster.
We do not have completely flat surface, but on asphalt I believe I can get 30-miles on these batteries. It just takes a while so I have not gone past ~20-miles round trip.
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:50 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Today I got my best "fuel" economy reading to date. My previous best was 1.410 Ah/ mile. The Alltrax adjustments made today were to the regen braking and max rpm.

I previously had it set for 50 amps and turned it up to 75 amps for this ride. I dropped the rpm from 6100 to 6000. I really like the way it runs with the regen set that high. It will slow from 24 mph to a near stop in about 5 seconds.

Outdoor temp 85 to 87
17.58 miles, flat level pavement
1 hour 55 minutes
9 mph average speed
Starting Ah 72
End Ah 48.22
Ah used 23.78
23.78 / 17.58 = 1.352 Ah per mile

I know the high regen setting is what gives me the economy. EB said the battery is rated for regen input of 350 amps in short bursts and 100 amps continuous. So 75 is still conservative.

If any of you live in very hilly areas, this amount of regen could save your life. It would be interesting to see how well 75 amps would slow you going down hill.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As you say, Regen will increase your range if you are doing lots of stop / starts. I rarely touch the brake except when coming to a full stop.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
As you say, Regen will increase your range if you are doing lots of stop / starts. I rarely touch the brake except when coming to a full stop.
In a few rolling stops, the cart actually did come to a stop without touching the brakes. It actually surprised me. Taking the foot off the pedal at 24 mph does put you forward in the seat but not uncomfortably so, like it would by locking up the brakes.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:51 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't have any numbers to show. My batteries will be a year old in July and after a year of service, I would say that they are in better shape than they were a year ago. They used to go out of balance up to about 170mv's. The Daly BMS failed and I replaced it with a JDB BMS. I found out the Daly wasn't any good balancing batteries and since I switched my BMS the balance voltage is down in the 30mv range at charger cutoff. I can now run my charge voltage to 58.4 so I get a little quicker charge time and a little higher charge. One other problem I had was the batteries were getting too cold. I temporarily solved that problem by adding a heating pad made for humans. Before next winter I hope to get a heating pad made for batteries.

My driving is all city roads and my longest drive is approx 10 miles with a lot of hills. When I get back home and check my remaining capacity it is right at 65%

BTW my battery is a DIY CALB 100Ah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover.jpg (92.4 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car