lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
mbaubele
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo ST sport II- wont run in drive

I just picked up a 19?? ST Sport II with the Kawasaki FJ400D engine. Problem is that it runs fine in neutral, purrs like a kitten!!! But when you put it in drive, it hardly runs at all, it back fires and dies out. If you put it up on a jack stand and run it in drive with the wheels off the ground, it seems to run fine. It seems to be whenever its under a load that it cuts out and won't run. The compression appears to be good. Gauge I have got up to 150PSI. We put new fuel in it, we changed plug, and fuel filter. Fuel pump is pumping plenty of fuel. Any thoughts? Thanks
mbaubele is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Ezgo ST sport II- wont run in drive

Remove the spark plug and hold it to a valve cover bolt while spinning the engine. What color is the spark? Yellow? White? Blue? Bright or dull?

I’d have to check but I believe 150 sounds wrong for most of the Kawasaki engines. I don’t know if ezgo has compression release or not… if they do then 150 is WAY high. I’d expect to see it 40-60psi. If it doesn’t have ACR then 150 is probably on the low side. Again I’m more familiar with the club car kawasakis but on those 150 is rebuild time. I believe service minimum is 156. Fresh rebuild I’d expect to see 175+psi. I am sure that trig or cartmaster will happily correct me if I’m wrong but I would assume the ezgo Kawasaki is about the same.

If compression is low then it’s going to run fine in neutral where there’s no load. But if you load the engine with 1000 lbs of cart then it’s gonna fall on its face.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

(128-156 psi) is what compression should be. They didn't use the ACR on these engines.
This engine uses Spark Plug NGK BPR2ES with a gap
of .028" - .031"
Backfiring and dying out is something that would be hard to determine without seeing it in person.
What did you spark plug look like ?
Edit
I just read again and I am sort of confused ?
19?? ST Sport II with the Kawasaki FJ400D engine
Ezgo as far as I know ezgo didn't put the Kawasaki engine in their carts until 2008.
They then used the Kawasaki FJ400D engine.
Tell me what I am missing here ? is this the ezgo cart ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You’d know better than me on that one. I’m surprised the compression spec is that low! The kawi club cars are way higher than that.

I’d still ask what color the spark is. Weak coil can run fine in neutral and stumble in gear

Also never understood why they didn’t use ACR in the golf carts. Would make the starter gens job a whole lot easier
Old 07-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I just read again and I am sort of confused ?
19?? ST Sport II with the Kawasaki FJ400D engine
Ezgo as far as I know ezgo didn't put the Kawasaki engine in their carts until 2008.
They then used the Kawasaki FJ400D engine.
Tell me what I am missing here ? is this the ezgo cart ?
This part I agree with. 2008+ is what I expect to see an FJ400D installed in. I can't comment on the compression as I only work on John Deere gators and Kubotas with this engine.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You’d know better than me on that one. I’m surprised the compression spec is that low! The kawi club cars are way higher than that.

I’d still ask what color the spark is. Weak coil can run fine in neutral and stumble in gear

Also never understood why they didn’t use ACR in the golf carts. Would make the starter gens job a whole lot easier
Seems like they couldn't because Club Car used it. Maybe I dreamed that but I was thinking someone in the golftech forum told me that.
You are correct about using ACR. Club Car never had the issues EZGO did with cranking.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Seems like they couldn't because Club Car used it. Maybe I dreamed that but I was thinking someone in the golftech forum told me that.
You are correct about using ACR. Club Car never had the issues EZGO did with cranking.
Club car only used ACR on the key start carryalls and utility carts. All the pedal start carts were no ACR and one hell of a compression stroke for that poor starter gen to overcome.

You wouldn’t believe how common it is on club cars to have to hold the gas pedal for 3-5 seconds for it to crank, get past that compression stroke, and then starts right up. Very common “problem” at this point I’d almost call “normal operation per design intent”

Especially pushing past 175psi compression on a fresh motor…
Old 07-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The original ST came with the robbins and the Kawasaki came out in 08 for ezgo. I don’t think it is the same engine as the club car but I dunno. All this said ezgo did have a retro fit kit that would change out the entire rear drive train from either electric or the robbins. It is possible that is what you have.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #9
mbaubele
Not Yet Wild

I am probably wrong on the year, there is not much to go on the cart to tell the year, the serial number is warn and hard to read. They engine is definitely a Kawasaki, FJ4000D-BSO7- R.
The spark plug color is pretty black, like running very rich. I am running a BPR4ES. I can try the BPR2ES but i don't think that is going to make much difference. Is there a way to tell if the coil is going bad?
mbaubele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaubele View Post
I am probably wrong on the year, there is not much to go on the cart to tell the year, the serial number is warn and hard to read. They engine is definitely a Kawasaki, FJ4000D-BSO7- R.
The spark plug color is pretty black, like running very rich. I am running a BPR4ES. I can try the BPR2ES but i don't think that is going to make much difference. Is there a way to tell if the coil is going bad?
NGK BPR2ES with a gap
of .028" - .031"
Check the fire with a good spark tester. I used the one that looks like a spark plug. If it sparks that tester your coil is good.
Was the gas old ? did you clean the carburetor ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO