lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT Alignment - Death Wobble

I've got a '98 TXT, running a jakes 5" axle lift, 72V Navitas, 27" Interco Sniper 920's. Once I hit about 20MPH I notice a slight wobble, once you get to 30+ it becomes rather pronounced. Its not the stereotypical death wobble that is uncontrolable or requires you to saw the steering wheel to keep it straight. Its more of a drift, the cart will slowly drift to the left, a light correction on the steering wheel and it will drift to the right, light correction and it drifts to the left.

No noticeable play on the wheels when sitting still, I've got 1 ball joint which looks suspect that I plan to replace, but nothing obvious. I've got about 3/16" toe in on the front tires. Is this a common problem?
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: TXT Alignment - Death Wobble

With the cart on the ground, Rock the steering wheel back and forth and check for play. Look at the steering rack arm that goes to the passenger spindle, Check to see if you notice any kind of movement inside the rubber boot where the ball joint is inside. Also, check the intermediate shaft that goes from the bottom of the column to the rack. Hold the bottom still at the rack and see if there is any play there.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:15 AM   #3
HarryT
Gone Wild

Try giving it a little more toe in and see if that helps.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:05 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post

27" Interco Sniper 920's.

I've got 1 ball joint which looks suspect

These two things together is most likely the issue. Big wheels exaggerate the slightest play.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:14 AM   #5
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Got a new ball joint on the way, Its got a torn boot but seems tight. When stationary I don't notice any play in any steering component, any input into the steering wheel results in movement of the wheels, and from below I don't notice any loose parts.

What is a typical amount of toe in? And should it be set with the cart loaded or unloaded? Adding weight to the cart increases the toe in as the springs compress.
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

1/8 to 1/4” toe in with oversized tires.
Wiggle each wheel while someone holds steering wheel from moving. Best way to identify worn parts.
Also check for loose bolts, worn bushings , ect.
Lift kits and larger wheels and speed exsadurate steering problems 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO