lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
iannacofamily
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 Club Car Faster in Reverse

I went over the wiring diagram and all seems well. However, can not seem to get out of turtle speed. I believe I am on good hands here. Suggestions and help needed.
iannacofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 Club Car Faster in Reverse

What are we dealing with here? 36v? 48v? Year? Model?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

86 DS 36v...Is this a 5 solenoid cart? Or 1 solenoid and resistor coils...?

If 5 solenoid cart....maybe 1 or more of the high speed solenoids are bad...but that doesn't explain going faster in Reverse. Unless you have F and R switched....My '89 cart is factory wired for 36v forward and 18 reverse. ( Of course, I had to "fix" that) how about that '86?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

If its wired correctly and still faster in reverse then forward, then on of the three batteries that are not in the reverse circuit is bad.

Theory: battery one is bad causing it to show -12 volts instead of positive 6.

in reverse your car picks up 18 volts no problem.. thats standard..

in forward your car tries to pick up 36 volts, however the -12 effect added to the -6 from not having a good battery creates a 16 volt system.. with the battery also struggling it causing your solenoid to not stay engaged properly and further slow your system down.. Or even worse, two batteries dead before that wire.

to test my theory: jack the rear of the car up.. Have a friend ready to engage pedal for you. With a multimeter go from your main positive on the passenger side, to your main negative on your driver side. You should have 36 + volts there with a full charge. Depress pedal and hold, you should drop maybe 1 or 2 volts. If it drops significantly go to each battery with your multimeter and see which one is your demon.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
iannacofamily
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I think that the car is wired F and R switched. going to tinker with that and the move on to Plan "phasetim". This cart is the 4 in my fleet and what keeps me up at night. I keep you posted. Thanks. LOve me
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

weell..we never did hear how many soenoids this cart has? I guess I can look it up....
Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
iannacofamily
Not Yet Wild

She is a 36 volt 5 solenoid. Thank you thank you! Wired F & R switched. Right in front of my face. Not in turtle speed any longer, more like a fast dog. I would be interested in gaining speed. I am new to the tinker of carts. I have four various models and years managed to get all running(thanks for help). If it is worth someones time and you think I could handle it: I would like to broden my talents.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

well, the knowledge is all here spread out amonst us! LOL. There are some simple speed tricks you can do....Some cost more than others. the first change you can make for the cost of a longer Rev power cable. If you are running 1/2 speed Rev? the cable is connected in the center of the pack. Change to a longer cable that will reach to the end of the pack under the pass seat and you will have full power reverse.
You can change all Battery cabling from 6gauge to 4g to allow for better & faster flow of amperage. This will prepare you for the next step of converting to 48 volts....gd luck. enjoy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car