lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: new comet clutch

I don't know about EZGO but that is how Yamahas
work? If its a real long lag maybe a throttle cable
adjustment?
DOOmsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I hesitate to comment unless I have actually done it myself and I haven't done what you are trying to do. I am still puzzled as to why the correct belt HP 2011 at 45 inches is too short.
That said the difference in to 2011 and 2004 belt is 7/8ths and that short length made a big difference (in fact it was kind of hard to roll on) I would therefore suggest that 1/2 inch longer would be the way to go.
If anyone else has a different opinon you aren't going to hurt my feelings.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am puzzled as well. The clutch is the correct one for my cart and I did remove the engine to install it but there is only one way to put the engine back in. I just do not see anyway to go wrong but it is so tight that it is putting a lot of strain on the starter and I do not think it is going to last much longer. The only thing I can do is to put a longer belt on. Unless some one has an idea what is going on. Thanks for your help!

Chuck
Hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
jeffrun
Gone Wild

maybe if you could give us some dimensions, then we can do some compare to our carts. 1) diameter of driven clutch? 2) distance from center of driven clutch to center of drove clutch? Verify that the both clutch centerlines line up straight.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
kenbelanger
Not Yet Wild

I just installed a new clutch & belt on my 1985 EZGO.
At high speed the new belt wedges into the bottom of the driven clutch allmost throwing me thru the windshield.
I put the old belt on and the problem went away.
I didnt yet compare the dimensions of the two belts.

Ken
kenbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Ken,
What you describe is actually a well known problem that usually occurs after fitting a shorter belt. What happens is that the spring in the driven clutch is tired and allows to clutch to open too far. This drops the belt onto the spindle where it snags on the rivets in the center. This will eventually rip your belt up. The correct solution is to replace or shim your clutch but if you find that the old belt (which is probably a tad stretched) resolves the issue then there is a zero cost issue.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
kenbelanger
Not Yet Wild

What do you shim?
The driven clutch to stop it from opening too wide.

Ken
kenbelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK hear is what I found. The belt is running about 1 1/2 in. from the bottom of the clutch. It is pinching the belt as if it were spinning up and closing. I think it should be at the very bottom of the clutch. Is there a way to adjust the clutch so it opens up more or is there something wrong with the clutch.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
jeffrun
Gone Wild

When your motor is off, the drive clutch should be fully retracted and the belt be all the way down ,resting on the spinlde tube and have a little clearance beside belt. Souds like you have a faulty drive clutch or internally not set up for a 1-3/16 belt. With the motor off, reach up and see if you can pull the movable clutch sheev in, might be hung up.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
When your motor is off, the drive clutch should be fully retracted and the belt be all the way down ,resting on the spinlde tube and have a little clearance beside belt. Souds like you have a faulty drive clutch or internally not set up for a 1-3/16 belt. With the motor off, reach up and see if you can pull the movable clutch sheev in, might be hung up.
No the clutch will not open anymore if I pull on it. I'm thinking that some thing is wrong with the clutch.

Chuck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO