lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Electric 36V Charger

Hey all,

I have a 1990 Marathon, and when I bought it, it came with a 36V charger. The only issue is that the original connector was cut off, and replaced with alligator clips. The original part that accepted the charger, was so corroded that I had to remove it. I would like to take all of it back to the original issue state. Question is where do I start to find out what parts I need?

Seperate question: When I turn the charger on, it does not ever turn it's self off. Now I have gone out an purchased new batteries, and I do not want to destroy them. So should a charger automatically turn off when the batteries are fully charged, or do I need to watch it, and turn it off at a certain point?

Thanks for all the help!
HuntinBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: EZGO Electric 36V Charger

You need a SB50 plug, any of our sponsors will have this.

need to tell us what charger you have ??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
You need a SB50 plug, any of our sponsors will have this.

need to tell us what charger you have ??

I am not sure, as I am at work, but I will go home and look at it, and update.

Thank you for this info Rib!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinBuggie View Post
I am not sure, as I am at work, but I will go home and look at it, and update.

Thank you for this info Rib!
Ok it is a Lester Charger. It does not from what I can tell have an automatic shut off. It is a timer, (which is broken) basically you turn it to the number of hours you want and it is suppose to shut off after the said number of hours is reached. I have ordered all the parts I need from SPONSORS! and should have the last part in end of this week to get a good connection for charger to cart. However, I need to charge my cart for opening of dove season... So here is my question:
I have brand new batteries, can I put some type of temporary connection terminal on the charger side and hook to batteries to charge them? If so, since my charger won't shut off on its own, when should I be safe to unplug it?
Thanks all for your time, and help!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. Ok it is a Lester Charger.
2. It does not from what I can tell have an automatic shut off.
3. It is a timer, (which is broken) basically you turn it to the number of hours you want and it is suppose to shut off after the said number of hours is reached.
4. I have brand new batteries,
5. can I put some type of temporary connection terminal on the charger side and hook to batteries to charge them?
6. If so, since my charger won't shut off on its own, when should I be safe to unplug it?
1. Lester makes a lot of different chargers. If you can figure out what the model# is, you might find a manual for it here:
http://www.lesterelectrical.com/search/index.php

2. Take a peek inside. If there is a relay (small black box) mounted on a PC board with a wire going to the transformer, it might be automatic. Another way to find out is plug it in and measure across the output. If you get zero, it is automatic (or a dead charger). If you get a voltage (probably in the mid 40's) it is either a manual charger or an automatic on with the relay bypassed.

3. Or, that is the safety cutoff timer. You set it to the "Start" mark when you initiate the charge and either the charger shuts off automatically when the battery reaches the predetermined cutoff voltage (44-46V for a 36V Battery pack), or the timer times out at about 12 hours and shuts off the charger.

4. New batteries take a very long time to charge initially. Up to 16-18 hours.

5. Yes, but remember there will be 20 or more amps going through it for half a day or more. Something like the clamps used on jumper cables might work. Watch the polarity carefully!

6. If your charger is truly a manual one, monitor the Battery Pack voltage as it is being charged and shut off charger when it reaches about 45 volts. They will be gassing quite a while before they get that high, so keep an eye on the water level and don't let the plates get exposed (Distilled water only)

New batteries must be broken in properly to get the full potential from them (Only about 75% storage capacity off the shelf - takes about 20 cycles to get it up to 100%)
Here is the break in procedure.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Hope this helps. Good luck with the Doves.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Lester makes a lot of different chargers. If you can figure out what the model# is, you might find a manual for it here:
http://www.lesterelectrical.com/search/index.php

2. Take a peek inside. If there is a relay (small black box) mounted on a PC board with a wire going to the transformer, it might be automatic. Another way to find out is plug it in and measure across the output. If you get zero, it is automatic (or a dead charger). If you get a voltage (probably in the mid 40's) it is either a manual charger or an automatic on with the relay bypassed.

3. Or, that is the safety cutoff timer. You set it to the "Start" mark when you initiate the charge and either the charger shuts off automatically when the battery reaches the predetermined cutoff voltage (44-46V for a 36V Battery pack), or the timer times out at about 12 hours and shuts off the charger.

4. New batteries take a very long time to charge initially. Up to 16-18 hours.

5. Yes, but remember there will be 20 or more amps going through it for half a day or more. Something like the clamps used on jumper cables might work. Watch the polarity carefully!

Polarity is easy, it had color leads on there, but I was thinking about putting leads on that are like the ones that go from battery to battery, and securing with a wing nut... Good idea/bad idea?

6. If your charger is truly a manual one, monitor the Battery Pack voltage as it is being charged and shut off charger when it reaches about 45 volts. They will be gassing quite a while before they get that high, so keep an eye on the water level and don't let the plates get exposed (Distilled water only) Can I take the caps off the batteries while they are charging?
New batteries must be broken in properly to get the full potential from them (Only about 75% storage capacity off the shelf - takes about 20 cycles to get it up to 100%)
Here is the break in procedure.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Hope this helps. Good luck with the Doves.
Thanks JohnnieB!!!! You are a life saver!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Polarity is easy, it had color leads on there, but I was thinking about putting leads on that are like the ones that go from battery to battery, and securing with a wing nut... Good idea/bad idea?
Golf Cart Electrical 101: Don't trust wire colors.
Seriously, some guys have been known to use whatever is handy instead of replacing with same color. Probably okay in this case, but........

Good terminal lug and wing nut probably okay for a temp fix until parts come in.

Oops, didn't see the question about battery caps. Shouldn't be a problem as long as there aren't any Doves flying overhead.
Be sure to charge in well ventilated area, and don't be doing any target practice nearby, hydrogen gas is explosive
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Golf Cart Electrical 101: Don't trust wire colors.
Seriously, some guys have been known to use whatever is handy instead of replacing with same color. Probably okay in this case, but........ Sorry forgot to mention, I did charge my last batteries with this charger twice, but it had alligator clips on it that were broken and I had to use a pair of vice-grips to keep them tight... I just though there must be a better way to do it! HA
Good terminal lug and wing nut probably okay for a temp fix until parts come in.

Oops, didn't see the question about battery caps. Shouldn't be a problem as long as there aren't any Doves flying overhead. LMAO that is good advise!

Be sure to charge in well ventilated area, and don't be doing any target practice nearby, hydrogen gas is explosive
HA HA yes sir, will do at home during the day with the garage door open! And I don't smoke!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO