lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Re: Steering

You do not have to take the front cowling off to remedy this problem. I changed two of them last month. Jack it up and put blocks or jack stands under the front of the frame about the brake pedal area. One on each side. remove the left wheel from the cart for better access to the clamping bolts. Align the pencil keeper on the steering wheel score card holder to the 12-o'clock position. Notice if there is a flat spot on the spline end that goes onto the steering box shaft. Most likely there is. if not make a reference mark so you can realign the steering wheel straight ahead when finished. Turn the shaft until you can reach over the left front hub with a 10m.m. socket on an extension and completely remove the clamping bolt from both ends of the steering knuckle they may be slightly tight to remove because they have blue Loctite on the threads. Bump the knuckle up the shaft towards the steering wheel until it comes free of the steering box end then you have to wiggle it around slightly to remove it from the upper shaft. These are non-greasable joints and the only cure is to bite the bullet and get one from Club Car. Put a light film of anti-sieze in the opening where the joint slides onto the shaft ends, line up the flat spot on the upper end and push it all the way through the knuckle up the shaft, then making sure the score card pencil holder is still at 12-oclock and the front hubs are pointing straight ahead the flat spot of the spline end of the shafts should line up with the flat spot in the knuckle. Tap the lower part of the knuckle down until the bolt goes through the cut out spot in the shaft. Put a drop of blue Loctite(optional) on the clamp bolt threads and screw them back in place. Reinstall the front left wheel remove the jackstands or blocks, lower the cart and go.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

The five minutes it takes to remove the front cowl eliminates the need to crawl under the cart . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
gadavis,

I jacked the cart up and lubed everything that had a grease fitting, they had all been lubed not long ago. What you said about loose and tight spots is correct. I took the bumper off, but I must be missing something. I cannot get too the clamps on the boots of the rack to take them loose. I may have to take it somewhere to a hoist to lift the whole cart. My bumper is just the black rubber with two screws as far as I can tell.
When you lubed the spindles, did you actually see grease come out of the top or bottom of the spindle? I have seen many older spindles where grease was not actually getting to the king pin causing a stiff steering situation over time.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I have my winter cover on at this time. Thank you for explaining what the problem was and how to repair it. I kind of though it might be the "U" joints I think they will last until warmer weather. I plan to bring it back home when the weather breaks to do a removal and cleaning of the batteries. I will change the "U" joint then. I sprayed them with WD40 and that helped. I am happy I know for sure what it is.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

One thing often forgotten that will cause heavy steering is low tire pressure...........
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car