lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Lucas867
Not Yet Wild

Default Need Help Troubleshooting!

Im working on a 2001 club car DS and was putting new connectors on the ends of the wires coming from the motor going to the controller and my wrench that was holding the nut was touching the box to the right of the controller if your looking at it from the back (which im guessing is a contactor of some sort) and I my ratchet ( which I was using above the batteries to take a bolt out spun around and hit a battery and a few sparks came from the little box by the contactor looking thing. Now when I put the cart in forward and try to go, it sounds like it is engaging but the cart will not go anywhere. What has happened?

Thanks,
Lucas
Lucas867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
shmitterton
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need Help Troubleshooting!

Is that the power drive system or IQ plus? Someone who knows better than me will surely chime in, but depending on exactly what you grounded to and from. You may have just fried your controller. I'm not for sure though, best of luck buddy.
shmitterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
shmitterton
Not Yet Wild

You could always check voltage to the controller and see what's coming out of the controller to the motor as well. That will tell you a bunch. If you got 48 to the controller and nothing to the motor with the pedal pressed the controller might be your culprit. But if you press the pedal and there is no voltage going to the controller it probably your solenoid.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

theres a real good chance it fried the controller thats the 1st thing that goes.........when you say nothing is there now no solenoid click when you press pedal? somewhere here in the past few days scotty put directions for testing controller so read a few of the posts for the past few days its in here..........cross your fingers but don,t be surprised if controller is bad............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Lucas867
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the opinions. When you put the cart in forward or reverse and hit the pedal, you can hear the clicking noise, as if it is engaging, but the cart does not move. What I saw spark was the thing that is mounted to the right of the controller if your looking at the cart from the back. The tab on the controller that the F1 wire goes to coming from the motor is what I had the ratchet on and when I went to grab the socket to free spin it, the ratchet rotated down and hit the negative post on one of the batteries. What I saw spark was the thing mounted to the right of the controller, because I'm guessing the opposite side of the wrench that was holding the nut was touching something metal on it. Does this help you guys any?

I'll try to attach a picture of what I am talking about as well.

Thanks,

Lucas

The bolt that the screwdriver is pointing to is what I was working on but the thing to the right is what sparked. I think it was the bolt where te yellow wire runs to.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you shorted out The F1 terminal on the controller then there is a 99.9 certainty that the controller is fried, I've done it myself using a different method.

The lesson to be learned here is always disconnect power at the mains before proceeding with any electrical work on these carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
shmitterton
Not Yet Wild

^ wisdom
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The good news is .............. It's time for an upgrade!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Lucas867
Not Yet Wild

Scotty your a lifesaver in this situation. If in fact it is the controller, what do you have that I could put on it to produce more torque but still use the same motor? This is a hunting cart and could use some more torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you shorted out The F1 terminal on the controller then there is a 99.9 certainty that the controller is fried, I've done it myself using a different method.

The lesson to be learned here is always disconnect power at the mains before proceeding with any electrical work on these carts.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We need to know if this is a Regen I or Regen II cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Regen I or II.JPG (115.5 KB, 3 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car