lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
jpavlak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G14 Blow by

I have a G14 that is getting a lot of oil blow by into the air filter housing. Changed the oil and only put in 1 qt. Cleaned the carb, that didnt help. Replaced the needle, still no change. Broke down and got a new card because I was told that it must be getting to much gas. That hasnt made a difference either. I cant drive the cart for very long, maybe a hour and a half, before the filter is covered in oil and chokes out the carb. Not sure what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
jpavlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G14 Blow by

How does the cart run before all the oil gets in the filter?

Have you done a leakdown test on the cylinder?
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
jpavlak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yes it runs pretty good while it is getting good air. I dont know what a leakdown test is? Checked compression, at 125
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Compression and leakdown are the same. Compression sounds good.

I had a g14 and got rid of it about a year ago. I was thinking it had a hose from the crankcase that vented somewhere.....kind of like a PCV. That could be stopped up cracked or pinched shut. Sounds like it is building up too much pressure in the crankcase.

Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Dose the cart smoke at all (before it fills the breather with oil) ? Also check your valve lash as well as the hose that runs from the top potion back of the engine to verify its not crimped. You could hsve good compression and still have oil ring issues also.
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its common for the oil ring to go first and they start burning oil, but they smoke a little when hot out the exhaust. Mine is getting there, it will blow smoke out the vent when hot not when cold. Its a g9 it does not blow oil into the airbox unless its too full. If you lift the cart the stick may read wrong, but putting 1qt in is correct and should be correct level. You might as well move the hose to a catch can or something.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
jpavlak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys for responding. The cart doesnt smoke, partially why I am so puzzled. Boltz what is a valve lash? I will check the tube coming off the back of the valve cover. Thought about maybe getting a pcv valve that will fit the breather tube, would this be a good idea? Geuss if this doesnt work it may be time to start pulling the motor apart.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it's not smoking I would find it hard to believe the oil ring is bad. Make sure you check that hose first.....that would be the easiest to test.

The valve lash is the adjustment on the valves. Pull off the valve cover to set it. I believe it is .005 on both (guys help me out if it is different). You will need a 10mm wrench and screwdriver to adjust it. Take your time because it will change when you try too tighten the 10mm nut and hold the screwdriver still.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you have tons of blowby if you take that hose off the rocker cover and gas on it hot it will blow fumes/smoke out. A new engine not much comes out, that is what gets past the rings. If the oil ring is bad it does not wipe the oil off the cylinder when the piston goes down, so the oil gets above the piston and burns. Regular rings are not that good with oil control. Lash you need a feeler gauge, its metal tabs of various thickness. You place the right one on top of the valve stem under the rocker. It should just fit and rub a little when correct. You have to get the engine at TDC to make sure both valves are closed all the way. Cheater way is take the plug out and rotate the engine (forward), put your finger/thumb over the hole lightly and feel the air come out on the compression stroke. When it stops that is TDC. You should see the rockers stop moving most of that stroke and at end.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpavlak View Post
yes it runs pretty good while it is getting good air. I dont know what a leakdown test is? Checked compression, at 125
Did you check compression at wide open throttle? 125 lbs is very low. Should be between 155 and I've seen them as high as 175. Is the spark plug oil fouled? Valves should be set at .004 both intake and exhaust when the engine is cold. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha