lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
hutchthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Ran my 1981 G1 out of oil. Now What?

Hey folks. I have a 1981 yamaha G1. It has never consumed much oil. I failed to check the oil this spring when golf season started. Put in a new air filter and spark plug, but forgot about checking the oil. One day, we noticed a slight lack of power going up hills and we noticed a slight intermittent rattle. We played about one round of golf like this before we recognized there was an issue and discovered we had no oil.

What should we do now. I rebuilt the top end 2 years ago. Does it need an entirely new top end? Just rings? Would love to hear your opinions, except for being a dummy, this much is known

Thanks guys.
hutchthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Ran my 1981 G1 out of oil. Now What?

Start by putting a small amount of oil down the plug hole and then premix some gas,
and run it see how it goes. I have seen some scabby engines keep on a ticking.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Just another reason to hate oil injection.
rivertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post

Start by putting a small amount of oil down the plug hole and then premix some gas,
and run it see how it goes. I have seen some scabby engines keep on a ticking.
Good info here. If you are gonna continue to use the factory oil injection I would prime the pump...get all of the air out of the lines and verify that it is still pumping oil.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
hutchthis
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses guys. A few more questions.

1. What do you consider a small amount of oil? A teaspoon? more, less?

2. I think I have recently filled the tank, so I have about 5 gallons in there already. Can I mix oil into the tank? How much should I use?

3. With mixed gas, do you still want it to inject oil as well?

4. How do I prime the pump?

5. If things don't improve, what should the next step be?

Thanks
Mike
hutchthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

anks for the responses guys. A few more questions.

1. What do you consider a small amount of oil? A teaspoon? more, less?
Yes just a teaspoon for start up
2. I think I have recently filled the tank, so I have about 5 gallons in there already. Can I mix oil into the tank? How much should I use?
Mix up enough oil to make the gas in the tank 50/1 with a small amount of gas and add it to the tank.

3. With mixed gas, do you still want it to inject oil as well?
I like oil injection others don't, my suggestion is to see if it runs well and if the pump still works.
4. How do I prime the pump?
disconnect and bleed the lines

5. If things don't improve, what should the next step be?
Rebuild
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm sure its on here the G1 uses that line to the muffler to regulate oil flow, iirc you put vacuum positive pressure on it to make the pump go full flow to work the air out of it after bleeding the lines. I forget exactly but know its posted or someone here has a manual for the procedure. You run premix in the tank until you are sure it is bled all the way. The injection only runs 100:1 until there is high throttle then it puts more oil in, that is why they don't smoke much unless you gas hard on them. It will smoke more w/50:1 premix.

You could have damaged the top end and/or the bottom end it is hard to say. Most likely the rings I would guess then you would see low compression, but rings alone don't always knock.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I'm sure its on here the G1 uses that line to the muffler to regulate oil flow, iirc you put vacuum positive pressure on it to make the pump go full flow to work the air out of it after bleeding the lines. I forget exactly but know its posted or someone here has a manual for the procedure. You run premix in the tank until you are sure it is bled all the way. The injection only runs 100:1 until there is high throttle then it puts more oil in, that is why they don't smoke much unless you gas hard on them. It will smoke more w/50:1 premix.

You could have damaged the top end and/or the bottom end it is hard to say. Most likely the rings I would guess then you would see low compression, but rings alone don't always knock.
Not to be argumentative here, but I run 50:1 premix and it hardly smokes at all. Actually surprised me as to how clean it runs. Our two jetskis are both premix at the same ratio and they smoke it up pretty good.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I only ran them with injection, but others here have run 50-100:1 premix to get rid of smoke. You can run less oil if you don't run it hard, but it is a risk. If you just putt around a campground with a governor on you could run less than 50. Also could depend on the oil you use there is a difference. Some say use air cooled oil, I use (in near everything 2 stroke I have) a quality marine certified that also works in my boat. Except these days the boat mostly sits there lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I just run whatever is on sale. Same thing I burn in the skis, yard equipment etc. Usually find that Pennzoil synthetic blend is the cheapest in my area at $25 per gallon.

I know what you mean about the boat. We did o.k. last year, but gas prices are considerably higher now. We've got a cove we hang out at and it's about 3 miles from the park. Couple zips back and forth and there goes $40 worth of gas. I usually go through 10 gallons a day in the boat and it takes premium so $4 a gallon. Skis actually use more gas than the boat does but the kid is on the thing non-stop. We'll go through 16 gallons a day plus oil with the ski. If his older brother and his friends go, it at least doubles everything. OUCH!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha