lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1995 EZ GO TXT $700... is this a good deal? :?:

I'm brand new to the golf cart world.. well.. I'm not brand new to it, I'm brand new to thinking about buying one or modifying it. The purpose of this cart will be some off road/ hunting/ trails type activities so it will have a 6" lift and larger tires/wheels. I need something that will be adequate for my needs. The heaviest things I think I would pull would be two adults and maybe a deer and a hog? (Worst case scenario, probably would only happen semi-occasionally to have that much load, i expect normal usage to accommodate one or two regular sized adults.) Some hilly terrain here and there, but nothing ridiculous. Well.... nothing ridiculous that I would try in an electric cart- lets put it that way.

Anyways I found a 1995 EZGO TXT model that the owner says will need new batteries soon but would part with it for $1,000. I talked him down to $700. I have seen a picture of it, but not in person yet. (He returns Jan 2, I will go look at it on Jan 2 probably) The man says there are no other problems he knows about with the cart. It has some corny pastel pink and light blue graphics stickers on it, but thats besides the point. I'd probably put that Realtree Hardwoods HD camo wrap on it anyway. It has the charger with it.

A couple things. (1) I thought the first year of the TXT was 1996? This definitely is not a marathon or the older one.. it has a rounded front face instead of triangular like the 2 previous versions, and it has NO bumper at all. (TXT)

(2) Is this a good deal for this cart? (3) I know it is a 36v cart, would this year/model of cart have a good motor to increase to 48+v if I wanted to in the future (36v motor ran on 48v)? (4) In your opinion is this a wise "low budget" DIY choice to make for my intentions and the price? Why or why not? I'm trying not to spend 5k++ on a golf cart when I could just get a 4wd ATV for that price. If I get into the 5k+ range I would just get the ATV and muffler silencer, which I do not want to do. I did some calculations and I figured I wanted to put 1200-1500 in additions to the cart, and this DOES NOT INCLUDE a new or rewound motor, controller upgrade, solenoid upgrade, cable gauge upgrades, etc...

Looking at a 6" lift, off road tires for additional clearance, headlight kit, batteries, black top (instead of the white), rear black/camo fold down bed/seat, floor mount gun rack in front, Realtree Hardwoods HD wrap or flat black or olive drab body coloring, black or camo seats. (I think that's most of it.) I had the "idea" I could just run the stock motor on 48 until there were problems and then upgrade the motor/controller. I know all of this would probably approach the $4,000 range once the motor and controller comes into play but I am still (at that point) $1,000 under 5k. Which would be a great thing.

(5) A controller upgrade on a stock motor WOULD increase performance right?

I KNOW THIS IS KIND OF LONG, THANK YOU IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR. I tried to add as much information as possible.

-UG
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 EZ GO TXT $700... is this a good deal? :?:

Although I would like to stick with my original questions, I am open to suggestions if you think a certain model or year is better for the purposes I mentioned in the original post. (Hunting, some off road, not a regular HEAVY load carried, possibly running on a voltage higher than the motor is rated for, etc..)

I have read EZGO has more available and is usually cheaper than CC. I really do not need an excessive amount of speed, but some quickness wouldn't bother me at all. Keep in mind during hunting scenarios there could be extended periods when I might be "creeping".. (at a very slow speed, 25% throttle) through the woods, especially when I get closer to the shoothouse. I know some models might have an issue when operating at less than full throttle (especially when/if running the motor at a higher voltage than intended), but I don't know which ones they are. Please keep your suggestions to a low initial investment for the cart. I will add as I go after getting the cart, I have a year until next hunting season.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it needs batteries, $500 max. If it won't hold enough of a charge to prove it functions, less. Sure a controller swap, HD FNR and big cables will be great if you're going 48v anyhow. You might as well do it the first time. Don't forget that you'll need a new charger too. 4k is a workable budget for what you want. Heck, at your 5k cutoff I'm very near to a 4x4 conversion (when it warms up again, I'll be back at it) of that same cart. Granted, I still run 36v and stock tires, but it gets the job done.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it is a 1995 TXT, (Plastic body) it could have either a series wound motor or a sepex (Separately Excited or shunt wound) motor.
If the is a Run/Tow switch on controller cover, it is a DCS drive system (sepex motor)

The series motor is considered by many as being better suited for building a hunting buggy, but some people have built excellent hunting buggies out of DCS carts.

The thing to remember is that an electric golf cart is designed to carry two golfers and their clubs about 275 yards over groomed trails, stop for about ten minutes, then continue to the next Tee and after repeating this process 18 times, the batteries are to be recharged. To do more than this, the drive system has to be upgraded.

Adding taller tires changes final drive ratio, increasing speed and reducing torque, which in turn increase the load on the electrical system, so heavier duty cables, controller, solenoid and F/R switch (if a series cart) are needed.

The motor will run on 48V, but may need to be upgraded even if left at 36V.

The trick is to figure out what you what as and end product and build towards that goal.

As you said, you've got a year before next hunting season, so take your time, do some research and weigh the pros and cons.
No matter what you come up with, somebody in this loony bin has probably tried it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick replies. I spoke to the guy at my local custom golf cart / parts store this afternoon.. he said I could boost the 36v motor to 48v, but at that point "do you really want to sink that much money into a cart that is 18 years old?" (In reference to the 48v boost, which would require additional batteries, controller, etc.)

I'm not sure how I feel about that question. Just a note- the business I spoke with customizes golf carts and sells custom carts, but they ALSO sell golf cart customization parts to the public. From lift kits to motors & controllers, to just about anything golf cart custom. With this in mind I feel more like I could trust what the man said "more" than I normally would because his profit is not only in selling custom carts, it is also selling custom cart parts and upgrades.

Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent. Being as new as I am to this I wonder if he has a point? His reasoning appeared sound, but keep in mind I would not be hard to fool right now because I don't know as much as I need to yet. What is your opinion? Is he just trying to sell me a newer cart? (He mentioned, but didn't push 2 EZGO TXT 1997 & 1996 he had in stock for sale at around $1600 & $1500, but this includes good batteries, windshield, lights, stock golf course options, bag carrier, ball washer, sand box- but these carts are more than double the cost of the one I'm looking at)
Is juicing a 1995 36v TXT motor to 48v "pissing in the wind"?

He also said that if speed was not my main focus that just staying at 36v should be adequate for what I'm looking to do with the cart. I focused my search for 36v carts for a few reasons.. 1-price, 2-read a lot about boosting from 36 to 48 and it interests me to "hot rod" the electric motor a little bit. and 3- The newer the carts are the more it seems like they have less torque than the generation of carts before them.. for a lift kit and wheel/tires it would seem like torque would be a good thing.

If I just get a new higher amp controller wouldn't that add more torque? AND< if I upgraded to a higher voltage (48v) system- wouldn't that increase my speed if I wanted to do that? Am I missing something in my original idea to get a "cost effective" older model cart and replace the controller and maybe upgrade electrical to 48- of which would give me a "reasonable" cart for less than I would spend on a newer cart?

This is where my ADD kicks in and my mind goes haywire all over the place. I need to hear from people who are not involved in my deal that have outside (somewhat)- unbiased knowledge and opinions. I want to feel like I am making a sound decision on whatever I decide to do. My apologies for asking a thousand questions, but I have no other resources to quickly get information from.

UG
Old 12-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It will cost (roughly) the same amount of money to mod an old one or a new one. About the only real benefit to a newer cart would be a large carrier rear end(98? Up) to add a LS unit. The Medalist has the advantage of a stronger rear frame structure than a TXT. Park one next to the other and peek under the rear. If you want to pull with the cart, the Medalist is probably your baby. If you decide to go the 4x4 route with a BBB front axle sometime down the road, you'll be glad for the pre-2001 steering. I personally would go with the Medalist again. You will have to buy the batteries, but then again YOU will be the one to break them in and will know beyond any shadow of doubt that they are good. I f you can get the cart for $500, I'd grab it. Is it worth it? Up to you, man!

kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANNGUERILLA View Post
I need to hear from people who are not involved in my deal that have outside (somewhat)- unbiased knowledge and opinions. I want to feel like I am making a sound decision on whatever I decide to do.
You probably didn't mean this, but don't discount advice from site sponsors. Some of the best advice around here is often given from site sponsors, yet it's mainly us customers who will give them glowing recommendations and send others like ourselves their way.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You probably didn't mean this, but don't discount advice from site sponsors. Some of the best advice around here is often given from site sponsors, yet it's mainly us customers who will give them glowing recommendations and send others like ourselves their way.
I meant by anyone outside of my possible transaction. (Myself + sellers of the cart I buy/ local cart shop) People with nothing to gain or lose (business) for giving their honest opinions. Anyone is welcome to chime in.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In that case

I will interject some short simple answers into your long questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANNGUERILLA View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I spoke to the guy at my local custom golf cart / parts store this afternoon.. he said I could boost the 36v motor to 48v, but at that point "do you really want to sink that much money into a cart that is 18 years old?" (In reference to the 48v boost, which would require additional batteries, controller, etc.)

I'm not sure how I feel about that question. There is very little difference between any of the TXT carts. The same basic platform has been used from 1995 to 2008 Just a note- the business I spoke with customizes golf carts and sells custom carts, but they ALSO sell golf cart customization parts to the public. From lift kits to motors & controllers, to just about anything golf cart custom. With this in mind I feel more like I could trust what the man said "more" than I normally would because his profit is not only in selling custom carts, it is also selling custom cart parts and upgrades.

Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent. Being as new as I am to this I wonder if he has a point? His reasoning appeared sound, but keep in mind I would not be hard to fool right now because I don't know as much as I need to yet. What is your opinion? Is he just trying to sell me a newer cart? (He mentioned, but didn't push 2 EZGO TXT 1997 & 1996 he had in stock for sale at around $1600 & $1500, but this includes good batteries, windshield, lights, stock golf course options, bag carrier, ball washer, sand box- but these carts are more than double the cost of the one I'm looking at)
AN 18 yr old cart may need a little more work than an 8 yr old cart but it certainly not much different than a 16yr old cart?
Is juicing a 1995 36v TXT motor to 48v "pissing in the wind"?
Boosting a 36v motor with 48v is probably one of the best bang for your buck upgrades you can do to a SERIES motor cart. It will increase torque and speed.
He also said that if speed was not my main focus that just staying at 36v should be adequate Who wants adequate? Besides, it won't be adequate if you want big tires and 4 passengers....with few exceptions 36v is adequate for golf on 18" tires.for what I'm looking to do with the cart. I focused my search for 36v carts for a few reasons.. 1-price, 2-read a lot about boosting from 36 to 48 and it interests me to "hot rod" the electric motor a little bit. and 3- The newer the carts are the more it seems like they have less torque than the generation of carts before them.. for a lift kit and wheel/tires it would seem like torque would be a good thing.

If I just get a new higher amp controller wouldn't that add more torque? AND< if I upgraded to a higher voltage (48v) system- wouldn't that increase my speed if I wanted to do that?
increase amps to get more torque and increase volts to get more speed. Am I missing something in my original idea to get a "cost effective" older model cart and replace the controller and maybe upgrade electrical to 48- of which would give me a "reasonable" cart for less than I would spend on a newer cart? A newer cart will also need to be modified for off road use.

This is where my ADD kicks in and my mind goes haywire all over the place. I need to hear from people who are not involved in my deal that have outside (somewhat)- unbiased knowledge and opinions. I want to feel like I am making a sound decision on whatever I decide to do. My apologies for asking a thousand questions, but I have no other resources to quickly get information from.

UG
I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
It will cost (roughly) the same amount of money to mod an old one or a new one. About the only real benefit to a newer cart would be a large carrier rear end(98? Up) to add a LS unit. The Medalist has the advantage of a stronger rear frame structure than a TXT. Park one next to the other and peek under the rear. If you want to pull with the cart, the Medalist is probably your baby. If you decide to go the 4x4 route with a BBB front axle sometime down the road, you'll be glad for the pre-2001 steering. I personally would go with the Medalist again. You will have to buy the batteries, but then again YOU will be the one to break them in and will know beyond any shadow of doubt that they are good. I f you can get the cart for $500, I'd grab it. Is it worth it? Up to you, man!
Very interesting build there Kab. Are those little golf course tires supposed to be on the 4wd?
The man originally wanted $1,000 for the cart but said the least he would take for it was $800. I called back the following day and said "If I come and look at it and want to buy it cash, would you take $700 for it and he hesitantly said "I guess I can" .. I'm sure he is as low as he's gonna go, so its $700 or wait to see if a better cart comes along for cheaper- which I'm not sure if that will or will not happen given the options I have seen so far.

- As a side note, the 67 year old lady that comes in to do filing on Thursdays at our office overheard me talking to my brother at work about my idea to buy a golf cart and she said she would check her community bulletin board, that "people are selling their golf carts all the time on there." She lives in a SENIORS ONLY COMMUNITY that only allows ELECTRIC carts. As soon as I put all that together bells and whistles went off in my head like crazy. I'm hoping she finds some good stuff to look at before Jan 2. Her community might or might not be a gold mine? I'm hoping..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
In that case

I will interject some short simple answers into your long questions

I hope this helps.
Scotty, I do have long drawn out questions. Your short simple answers leave me feeling cheated and frustrated with you. I committed a portion of my life writing a novel of questions and all I got was a couple sentences. How dare you?!?

Seriously, I have been sniffing around here a couple days before joining and enjoy reading your posts. I think I should stick with going to look at this 95 EZ Go on Jan 2. Ill take pictures and maybe post a few and take it from there. You have a very valid point about the difference between 95 and 97.
-----------------

So it looks like I hope I find a series motor on this '95 cart I'm gonna look at. I have read that SEPEX motors can overheat quickly with big tires when "creeping" ..especially uphill. This is a concern for me somewhat because the hunting area I had in mind is exactly this way most of the way there.. UPHILL on a winding ATV path that borders a drop off on the left side of the ridge all the way up there. It's a 35 minute walk in the dark, that could be a 10 minute ride I suspect.

Tags
ez go txt 1995
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO