lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Key ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Like the Boots View Post
Any parts store sells a cheap key switch ignition for $8-12. I got one at O'Rileys. Its a non generic better cut key, better than the factory lawnmower key that starts just about everything! Only problem is im stuck right where you are trying to figuer out how to wire the *** thing! original was 5 prong and this one is 4.

Anyone out there do this already what wires go where, I dont care where they come from! just want to hook them up and go! LOL
Just buy a direct replacement and quit your whining. If you can't work out how to switch power perhaps electricity isn't for you !!

Chris
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Geez Chris... just go ahead and say what's on your mind already!

Just a note...
Since my last post in this thread, I've replaced my switch with a Club Car "keyed different" key switch,
that I bought from my CC dealer, It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.
If anyone is concerned about the security of their cart, I'd suggest you do the same!

As for using a key switch from an auto parts store for a 92 or newer CC, It's NOT the same!
Club Car's are off/on... car switches are acc/off/on/start, so wiring it will be an issue!
Not only that... but car switches are NOT "whether resistant" and will fail when they get wet!

So... I'm going to agree with Chris, and get an original Club Car key switch,
it'll save alot of headaches and you CAN get them "keyed different"!

my .02
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key Switch wiring.jpg (20.3 KB, 41 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
oliver28472
Getting Wild

That's great info Lockman! Thanks for the info and diagram.
oliver28472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Smokin' Corn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi all,
My 97 has the 5 terminal also, I can't get the 4 terminal to fire the engine after following the "sticky" wiring diagram or the one posted by LOCKMAN.
I have a stock CC Carryall II Plus that has never been touched by anyone else but me.
How can I make it work.
If this is a hijack, remove this post, and I apologize for it.
Smokin' Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Club Car switches are actually 2 switches built into 1. The 1&2 terminals are normallyopen in the off position. The M+ & M- are normall closed in off position. The "M's" ground the engine to kill it. he 1-2 send 12v to the solenoid. An Autozone switch can't do this. Some mower switches can.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #16
scotXRT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpg View Post
Club Car switches are actually 2 switches built into 1. The 1&2 terminals are normallyopen in the off position. The M+ & M- are normall closed in off position. The "M's" ground the engine to kill it. he 1-2 send 12v to the solenoid. An Autozone switch can't do this. Some mower switches can.
THANK YOU!! I have been trying to make sense of the wiring diagram and understand this white/white-black circuit. Simple info that makes a world of difference!! Somebody wired my cart to work with a standard auto ignition switch before I bought it and made a rats nest in the process. I HATE electrical messes and couldnt make sense of it but now I get it- its a kill circuit. It can be bypassed and a new kill switch can even be added for safety if you dont want to buy the stock switch.
scotXRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
T.Hill56
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

You need at least 4 terminals for a standard CC gas. 5 for a keystart. The extra terminals(m and m-) are for ignition grounding. No automotive switch has that function. There are uncommon CC OEM switches available thru any dealer.
T.Hill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #18
Marc2010
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Has anyone installed an illuminated key switch in a Club Car Electric?
Marc2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

Look ignition switches are only for the honest and young who don't know any better. There are better switches available from the boating industry, waterproof 4 and 5 terminal, technically you only need a 2 position switch as long as it goes to ground when its in the off position. I happen to have a 3 position (off on and start) I use to use the start position but I couldn't understand why my battery didn't charge now I do and now I just use the off/on positions but after educating myself I also know that with a couple off jumper wires and a wire cutter I could steal any functioning club car cart out there the bottom line is the way they work when they start is very easy to bypass everything in front of the solenoid and battery and make the cart run. The way to prevent the cart from being stolen is immobilize one of the wheel with something like a boot used on cars or maybe someway to lock the parking brake or steering wheel like the club, that would be an accessory you could sell the crap out of
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car