lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 86 Re-build

Hold off on mounting the resistors until you get more advice.I will try to scan a picture of how they were originally mounted.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I hope this works.
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/SCAN0001.jpg
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Thanks for the scan.

I've got whats left of the box like that for mine. I don't plan to re-use it. I see it as a heat shield to prevent burnt body parts, not functional to make anything work or work better. Like I said, I may take some sheet metal to cover it if it bothers me too much.

Where exactly in the battery box was it mounted? Where I have mine now will work, just wondering where EZGO put it from the factory.
hllon4whls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm hoping that one of the experts will arrive and help out here. I have a very limited knowledge of resistor carts. (none) My concern is that your leads coming to the resistors will be running underneath your cart and be exposed to all kinds of potential damage.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I'm hoping that one of the experts will arrive and help out here. I have a very limited knowledge of resistor carts. (none) My concern is that your leads coming to the resistors will be running underneath your cart and be exposed to all kinds of potential damage.
You know, that is a really good, simple point and one that I never considered. I'll probably bump it up a bit with some offsets. Then I can keep the wiring on the top side of the framing. No reason to redesign the whole deal.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #16
gaston
Gone Wild

iaefebs you are doing great. no expert needed around here.

Also those resistor coils generates a lot of heat, if you going 48v much more, the box is designed to dissipate some of that heat, I would even try to improve ventilation and make the newer box out of thick aluminum an add on like a little computer type blower wouldn't be a bad idea. I had resistor Marathon on 48v and heat was really a problem.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
lvaubel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I too am no expert by any means but I do have expeience with resistor carts and only resistor carts. You are definetly going to want to flip your resistor board right side up (terminals on top) to prevent them from getting shorted, damaged,and coroded from passing undercarage debree or water. For no other reason other than safety the coils should be encosed in some type of VENTILATED guard (they do get hot).
lvaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Here is a trashed 86 battery bay. Shows you original location of resistor box. I'd cover them up since motor leads will be in harms ways unless you do. Your call tho.

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Here is a trashed 86 battery bay. Shows you original location of resistor box. I'd cover them up since motor leads will be in harms ways unless you do. Your call tho.

How did you get a picture of my cart? J/K. Thanks for the location. Thats close enough to where I have mine. I'll work out something a little different than stock but still acceptable to all of you OSHA and product engineering types. :)

I appreciate all of the feedback. I also purchased my last batch of parts from one of the sponsers. Great communication so far.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

FWIW,
Take it from those that have done this like scottyb, roady, and others. I've run higher than stock voltage thru that exact same system. You better learn to drive by WOT or zero throttle method if you want it to last. Those are the only two times the resistor coils are out of the circuit. Those stock coils won't last at 48v and I know they don't last at higher than 48v. IPC makes a "hi-perf" set of coils but I don't know what they are rated for. IMO you're better off converting to ESC at higher than 36v if you're intent on keeping that cart. Problem is the negative ROI to do it on that vintage cart.

Weak spots on that system in no particular order.
solenoid (Get a good one at proper voltage, amp, and duty cycle)
FNR buss (those stock .060 buss will melt in two with the higher draw. Lift, larger tires, rear seat, etc. just speeds this up a bit)
resistor coils (your basic electric three burner cooktop under your @$$. Drive at less than WOT and cook your dinner at the same time! They'll cook something. Seriously, they light up just as hot as the element on an electric stove set on high so if you run them without a heat shield then at least staple some soldering mats or something fire proof on the plywood seat bottom above the coils.

Don't get me wrong as I'm a huge fan of the metal bodied carts of the late 80's and early 90's. Not a fan of the resistor system as it is HUGELY inefficient with the batteries. But, they are tanks! Just know what you have and how it works and be safe about it and have fun!

Good luck!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO