lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
racer4
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 freedom won't move

Hi all, found your board while doing a search on how to fix a gc. I was given a 1992 freedom 36v elec that didn't work, now I'm trying to get it going. I'm pretty good with gas engines, but have no clue as what to do on an elec. I replaced all of the batteries as they had frozen at some point and were swollen pretty bad. I was very careful to wire everything back up exactly as it was but there are a few small wires unconnected which were that way when I got it. I have found a wiring diagram on this site and will look to see what goes where. I have 36 volts at the pack and when the gas pedal is pressed it drops to 33v but doesn't move. It tries and there is a high pitch electric whistling sound when it tries to move, but no real movement. If I jack it up, the tires do spin but not very fast. I looked at the f/r switch and everything seems to be tight, no melted wires anywhere or anything looking burnt. If anyone could assist me, that would be great. This cart is in nice shape and its a shame for it not to work properly. Thanks.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 92 freedom won't move

Controller or resistor system?
Hope your charging your new batts since at 36v, they are pretty much considered dead. You should be seeing >38v on a fully charged pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
racer4
Not Yet Wild

I believe its the controller system. Black cover over electronics stuff situated between the batteries. The batteries are charging now since I just put them in today. I found a repair manual with a diagnostic flow chart here and am going to try that. Oh, solenoid clicks when pedal is pressed too.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
racer4
Not Yet Wild

Just checked, the flow chart thing was for 2001 and newer. If anyone has a similar chart for a 92 that would be helpful.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
racer4
Not Yet Wild

After doing some thorough comparing of the wiring diagrams from the sticky and my cart, I have a few more notes. My backup beeper wasn't working and after finding the white wire was connected at the wrong place, that is now working. I have a heavier green wire connected on the left side pack positive and a black one the next battery over for a total of 12v, I assume to run lights and horn. There are 2 other wires coming out of that harness, a large grey wire and a large yellow one (unconnected and zip tied back). Doesn't look as though they were ever connected to anything as the connectors have no marks on them.

There are also 2 sets of wires coming out of the POT assembly, each set has a white and a black. One set goes to the controller box, the other lies unconnected near the FNR switch. I noticed there is another set of spade terminals on the double micro switch at the FNR switch (left side of cart). Are these supposed to be connected also? I see nothing on the available wiring diagrams as to where these wires go. All microswitches have been tested and work properly, also, the POT gives a smooth OHM curve from 0 to 5500 on the set going to the controller.

One last note, after jacking the cart up and jumping the solenoid with a battery cable, pushing the gas pedal did not make the wheels move in fwd or rev. I jiggled the FNR switch and nothing happened. One thing I did notice, if I held the gas down in fwd, one set of wires coming off the FNR sw got warm, in rev, the other set got warm. Again solenoid does click in fwd and rev and doesn't in N. Batteries are fully charged and pack voltage is now near 40v.
Sorry for such a long post, but I'm trying to give as much specific info as possible to assist those who can help and eliminate components that work OK. Thanks again
Todd
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Do you have this diagram?

Should be correct except for the accessories on a Freedom.

I'll re-read your posts tomorrow.

It's Saturday night!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
racer4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks PGGroves. I was working from a similar diagram, but the one you have shows where my mystery wires go that come out of the POT. Right up to the double micro on the FNR. I'll hook them up and see what happens.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
endoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You may want to check your contact wiper. It's on the board the throttle attaches to.
endoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoman View Post
You may want to check your contact wiper. It's on the board the throttle attaches to.
Huh?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
racer4
Not Yet Wild

Well we tested the motor and that checks out in both directions. Also found a test procedure on the curtis website, followed that and apparently the controller is bad. 6v coming out at full throttle is bad! Any ideas on where to buy a new one or is rebuilt a bad idea? Its a 1204-027.

Tags
good connections, new batts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO