lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Redrum323
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries Toast???

Okay, I filled the batteries up to alittle over the top of the plates. It took over a gallon of distilled water. The batteries do not have any voltage at all. Is it time to go to Sams and get a set?
Redrum323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries Toast???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum323 View Post
Okay, I filled the batteries up to alittle over the top of the plates. It took over a gallon of distilled water. The batteries do not have any voltage at all. Is it time to go to Sams and get a set?
Nope...

Its time to go to your buddies house and swap with his batteries when he's not around!!!

Just kidding

But also curious...

How old are they and were they Sam's batteries in the first place?

When was the last time you used your cart?

None of the individual batteries have any voltage reading?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Redrum323
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Batteries Toast???

It's 2001 EZ-GO and I think they are the original batteries. They are Trojans. I bought it from a friend of a friend of a friend who was getting divorced. He told me he left the cart out in the garage last winter and the batteries froze. I checked each one and there was no juice at all. But I just got back from Sams with six new ones and put them in. It took off like a rocket.

Got it for 800.00 and paid 465.00 for the batteries, so 1250.00 in all. It looks like a brand new one.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
It's 2001 EZ-GO and I think they are the original batteries. They are Trojans. I bought it from a friend of a friend of a friend who was getting divorced. He told me he left the cart out in the garage last winter and the batteries froze. I checked each one and there was no juice at all. But I just got back from Sams with six new ones and put them in. It took off like a rocket.

Got it for 800.00 and paid 465.00 for the batteries, so 1250.00 in all. It looks like a brand new one.
Well there ya go... a little money can fix most anything...
Take care of those new batteries like they're supposed to be taken care of and enjoy your cart in good health!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

.......New batteries need a charge BEFORE use
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Redrum323
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I thought, but the tech said they were fully charged. To make sure, I checked them when put them in. They were pushing 45.3 volts. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and hooked the charger up and it didn't come on. I checked them again and got a reading of 44.7 volts.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
That's what I thought, but the tech said they were fully charged. To make sure, I checked them when put them in. They were pushing 45.3 volts. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and hooked the charger up and it didn't come on. I checked them again and got a reading of 44.7 volts.
If a fully charged pack is at 50.93 volts and pack voltage of 46.03 is only 10% charged, your starting pack voltage was only around 5% if that. I would suggest that you take them back to Sam's, get your money back or exchange them for a brand new set RIGHT AWAY. You can do serious damage to batteries that didn't have the initial charging done before use. You shouldn't even take a pack down below 60% even if they were brand new batteries.

In your case they were in a near totally discharged state to begin with at 45.3 volts.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Why you should exchange your batteries from Sam's if given wrong information of "Fully Charged":

From Lester Electrical's website, the people that make cart chargers:

New batteries should be given a full charge before their first use because it is difficult to know how long the batteries have been stored.

Limit the use of new batteries for the first 20 cycles. New batteries and older batteries that have been in storage are not capable of their rated output until they have been discharged and charged a number of times.

Sulfation results when batteries in storage are not maintained in a charged, active state. Internal self-discharge can bring about the start of this condition in as little as three days in warm temperatures. Batteries allowed to sit unmaintained in storage self-discharge, sulfate to various degrees, and lose capacity. Repeated charging will generally result in the recovery of most of the battery's capacity, though some permanent loss can be expected.

DO NOT EXCESSIVELY DISCHARGE THE BATTERIES. Excessive discharge can cause polarity reversal of individual cells, resulting in
complete failure shortly thereafter. Heavily discharging (over 60%) new batteries before they have been broken in (approximately 20 cycles) can cause permanent cell damage, resulting in reduced energy capacity and shortened life.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

36v system right?
2001 Fleet TXT?

I may be a bit confused. That voltage is pretty high on a 36v pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
36v system right?
2001 Fleet TXT?

I may be a bit confused. That voltage is pretty high on a 36v pack.
Yes I agree... 38.2 is a fully charged 36 volt pack. If his cart is supposed to be 36 and he got 6 8 volt batteries by mistake that sure would be a reason the charger didn't come on!!! But if he has a 48 volt system then he's got possible issues now.

My 48 volt pack will reach in the low 60's on charge to equalize but once off it drops down to around 53 volts, (2 over the normal 51 volts,) then keeps coming down over 24-36 hours to 51 or so.

Let's see what RedRum has to say when back on this thread.

Last edited by scubabud; 05-31-2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Changed Yea to Yes I agree.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO