lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Delta QuiQ 48 on 42v question

At this point there is no reason to be mad. I have been around long enough to know people can and do make mistakes. I know I certainly have over the years.

I have pulled everything apart and flushed the bad stuff away.

I am not going to do anything with the charger until I have them on the phone and we will discover how it is set together.

The battery shop guy said something about the fluid that is put in dry batteries is 30 some percent acid and the rest water. He was very helpful and said when I was ready to replace the liquid that was missing to bring the cart down to his shop and he would determine what exact solution I will need. Really nice guy.The shop has been here as long as I can remember and I have been here most of my 70 years.

Hopefully everything will work out OK and I can move on. If the people at the sellers place are reasonable about what has happened and how to get it right I don't plan on posting the name of the seller. Sometimes stuff just happens. If they come off as jerks you will know who they are.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Fair enough, Jim It sounds like you have a firm grip on the situation...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #23
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Gaston, my high school chemistry is a bit rusty, but I do know there is a very specific method of mixing acid and water. I don't remember if you pour the water into the acid, OR, the acid into the water, but from a safety standpoint one method is proper and the other method is dangerous. Can you or anyone else confirm this?

Safety First!
Add acid to water is the safest. There's still reaction and creates a lot of heat but due that 22% only of acid is needed, this is pretty much fast. I do this when working with silver. For refilling those batteries I don't think Jim will need a lot of electrolyte probably half a gallon or less of prepared solution (electrolyte). The container to do the mix is better to be made of thick pvc. If ones needs to make lots of battery electrolyte, is the better to put the container in another bigger container with cold water to help dissipate heat.

The 22 / 78 percentages are the lead battery industry standard, I got this information directly from trojan years ago when I started to play with golf cars...

Jim, hopefully turns to some good, as said, I spoke with the techs of my provider and they confirmed the algorithm was probably not well programmed
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, not to rob the post, but what is the price and who has these chargers. I've contacted a sales rep through email at Delta and she told me to go to EZGO or distributor. I'll trying to do some research to see if I want to go to 42v or 48v. My cart is 36v presently.
rjriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Update

It has now been seven days since I called golfcartcatalog.com (Mountaintop Golf Cars) the place I purchased my Delta QuiQ 48 charger from. As I detailed in my earlier posts the charger was to be set fot 42v and the invoice had printed "**SET FOR 42V INTERSTATE** right in the middle of the page. It was boiling my new batteries and charging at 57+ volts when I checked it in the morning after connection it the night before.

I called them as soon as I saw there was a problem and spoke to "Wayne". He checked the invoice number on their computer and confirmed the Pre-set to 42v was on the invoice. He also said "Mike" had taken the order and he would be in tomorrow and they would get back to me. That never happened. Some here thought I could try fixing it by trying to reprogram it but NO WAY was I going to touch it.

While I waited for a return call from golfcartcatalog.com I called Delta-Q headquarters in Burnaby,BC, Canada and talked to Hiroshi Hasagawa the head of product support (great guy) and he tried a few over the phone diagnostic things that I was having trouble following. He did say the programming procedure in the owners manual is pretty difficult for a customer that has no previous experience doing it. They get lots of complaints about that. He suggested that I could ship it to them and they would check it out. I said I was 50 miles away and retired so why don't I just drive it up there. Good idea he says.

I left home at 7AM this morning and just got back (noon) with a charger that works just like it is supposed to. The programming for 42v had not been done!!

I can deal with someone making a mistake but I sure don't think much of a business that doesn't have the decency to return a call and try to rectify a problem.

I was allowed to go into the tech lab where they worked on the chargers and talk with the tech that was working on my charger. I asked a lot of questions and one of the answers was a disappointment.

I had hoped-assumed the charger would recharge the batteries to 100% charge and maintain them there and that is not the case. He explained these chargers are designed for golf course cart charging where they need to be able to recharge carts quickly for next day use and then shut off. If the cart is not used the charger will not restart on its own until the cell voltage drops to 2.08v per cell or slightly below 50% charge. Not what I had hoped for.

That being the case he suggested if the cart has set for a while, a week or more, a few hours before use I should unplug the charger until I hear a relay click then plug it back in and it will start a regular charge cycle. That will top off the batteries. He said it did not hurt anything to stop the charger in mid-cycle. We discussed that for a end user like those of us that have our own carts that don't get used every day it would sure be nice if they could add a manntainance program to maintain the bank at 100% when not used. The tech and Hirishi both said that was doable with a software upgrade and maybe sometime in the future it "might" be done but right now the golf course market was their main interest. Some of you guys that deal with the distributor reps ought to put a bug in their ear that Delta-Q ought to look in to making that feature available.

Enough of this for now. Does anyone make a really low amperage 42v capable battery maintainer that can be left on when the cart is not being used?

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know of any "maintainer" golf cart chargers. That really isn't necessary, as a good set of batteries will hold their charge for weeks (even months) after being charged.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs down Re: Delta QuiQ 48 on 42v question

I emailed Delta for information and prices on their chargers when this post came out. I was interested because adding one more battery to my cart wouldn't be that hard. I had Robyn a sales rep. email me back and forth asking me what brand of cart bah bah bah. She told me to contact EZGO they sell Delta. I told her nothing on my cart is stock anymore and I'm looking for a specific application for 42V. I couldn't get a model number from her or a list of dealers other than EZGO. I'm not impressed with the sales relation I got from her. I know I probably could call their customer service number but how uninformative her emails were really put me out. I now know they don't sell direct to the public but I felt like she thought I was a DA for even asking her for this information.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #28
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Then your decision is easy, buy a different brand 42v charger. Did you try Google to find Delta-Q chargers? It worked for me.

I am still happy with my choice of charger. It is a far more advanced charger than anything else on the market today. I just wish it had the maintainance mode also.

You should seen their warehouse, there were dozens and dozens of pallets full of them. Many thousand chargers for different applications.

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #29
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you don't mind me asking...if you've read my previous post I've been interested in part# and price on this charger. Who's a dealer? I'm still living with my 80's model 36v Textron EZGO charger. Is it worth the effort to add the extra battery?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #30
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I found $425 on golfcatalog with I did a search for Mountaintop Golf Carts and send me there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO