lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another 36 to 48 volt question !!!

A easy ball park way to tell how you will do range wise with different batteries is to find out what the batteries weight. Battery energy storage ability is quite closely tied to their weight. More lead = more energy storage ability.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I get the power/energy and amount of lead thing, but I don't think Trojan set that time by testing on a cart going from 0 to 20 mph 100 times and going up hills etc. I would imagine it is on a bench somewhere with just an amp draw.

My point mainly was the amount of energy wasted when a motor/cart is straining, bogged, and/or not running the right rpm. Someone on here also compared it to "cocktail cruising"; either from cruising around at low speed or being on a hill where you just don't have enough a$$; most of us have been there I'm sure......you put more pedal to it right??

When going up a grade/hill or just starting off, a 36 volt with big tires even with big wires (whatever the controller amperage), is straining...

Answer me this: Does the controller put out whatever amperage the pedal tells it to? or only what the motor will use? If I am thinking right, the controller puts out the amperage whether the motor can use it or not....IF the motor is running at say half its design rpm and you have the pedal to the metal it's not using as much amperage as the controller is putting out, and the over-amperage gets wasted in heat (heat is energy) and resistance.
The wires and parts heat up and the batteries drain quickly....from what? I'm pretty sure it's from amp draw.....why?? because the motor can't use all the amps being pushed to it? I think so....if it can't use the amps then everything between the controller and motor is resistance.....what happens where there is resistance? heat......where do those amps go? back to the batteries? I don't think so....wasted I think.

My reasoning was just that with much less time spent in an amp wasting strain, at 48v the run time of the cart is increased just by efficiency. The motor is using the amperage being pushed to it, getting through the strain more quickly.

I do know for sure that at 36v my cart was in a strain probably 60% of the time....on everything except flat ground. I would say that now at 48v it is only 10% of the time. It hasn't slowed down or been bogged on a hill yet. Just the hill behind my house took about 60 bogged down seconds before and everything got hot as he11.....now it takes maybe 30 seconds and nothing even gets warm.

A big improvement at any rate.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Treyfus
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveM View Post
Can you do the same upgrade to a PDS cart? (using a DCX500PDS controller)
Yep...just did it. But I have a 400DCX Alltrax. Works great and a big improvement in torque and speed.
Treyfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool...do you love it or what?
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
mememe
Not Yet Wild

this is good to know, didn't have a clue that this can be done
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO