lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
rib33024

Default Re: New brake pads on..now what ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Did the turn-buckle come first?
Yea my 84 has the turn buckle It 84 --86
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, adjusted everything again. cranked down on the cable adjustment some more. it slowes/stops better, but still not good. it will not lock up the tires like i want when I slam on the brake. It feels like the old pads stopped better... is there a break in period ? I'll keep playing with the adjustment over the next week, but will not take the kids in the thing. I changed the breaks hoping that the can take the cart up and down the big hill we have to take the trash out. the old brakes would just not stop the cart. These new one's will not either..at least right now. ****..this sucks.

thanks again for everyone's input.

aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A thought, If you tightened the cable while the adjuster was super loose you
may have the shoes out of parallel with the drums and only contacting
at the ends of the brake surface. It is a thought, we used to have to
re radius replacement shoes when the drums were ground.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Same problem with my marathon. Replaced the brake shoes, no difference, removed the shoes and filed off the shiny areas, reinstalled and drove the cart with brake on, removed the drum and filed the shiny areas. I did this a few times till the shoes touched the drums more. It is much better but still leaves something to be desired.
I haven't tried this but replace the spring at 'B' in the drawing with a solid piece of tubing. That spring prevents the brakes from pressing too hard, until the peddle is near the floor.
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, first Doomsman, do you mean take off the drum and check the alignment of the pads ?

Dennis..are you saying the drum need to be filed down or scuffed up instead of shinny smooth ? Whether I like it or not, it looks like I gotta take the thing apart again I sure wish I was rich so I could just hire someone to do it oh well..it is an education.

joe
Old 04-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

do you mean take off the drum and check the alignment of the pads ?
Yes it will give you a chance to check the shoes for even wear and any other thing you may have missed, the pic of before shows a lot of lining left on the old shoes so Look at the drums for glazing.
Good luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glazing ? sorry, but what would that look like ? the drum is pretty smooth, a few dark rust spots. Should I wet sand the inside of the drum ?
joe
Old 04-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #28
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you have it off I would go at it with the nastyest emmory or sandpaper you have got,
its cast iron and not moms china. People handle drums like eggs and they are tough so no need to be gentle. While you are at it check all spots that can develop slop so you know you are pulling the shoes not slippage here and there in the linkage.

I know you are teed off but we can do this, I am trying to find an exploded view of the brake system.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the confusion but I did mean to file off the shoes where they are rubbing as well as roughing them up, also rough up the drums as someone suggested. I had mine off and on 3 or 4 times till I got a good footprint on the shoe material. Mine were touching more on the inside of the shoe rather than the whole shoe surface. I suppose if you had the drums turned or replaced with new then the shoes would seat the first time. Too cheap also!
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great advise. Will pull them off tonight, now that I know how, it goes pretty fast.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO