lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
candlweav
Not Yet Wild

Default New brakes on 05 DS too tight

I've just finished installing new shoes on my 05 DS. I'd dismantled and cleaned everything, including the adjustors. Assembly went smoothly and both adjustors seemed to function appropriately. While still on the jackstands one wheel was a little tight. I loosened the cable a bit and went for a test drive. The cart felt like it was being held back and the brakes were not especially effective. When I re-jacked the rear wheels, both were extremely tight. I believe the shoes are on correctly; i.e. the metal tops of both match, (narrow points), the bottom of the trailing shoe has a larger metal point, and the bottom of the front shoe has a metal, squared shape. Sure would appreciate suggestions.
candlweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New brakes on 05 DS too tight

Did you reset the star adjusters?

You may have them in backwards... From the service manual:

"THE TRAILING SHOE HAS 17T STAMPED INTO THE TIP OF THE SHOE FLANGE (Figure 7-11). THE LEADING SHOE IS STAMPED 17L. WHEN INSTALLING THE SHOES, THE STAMPINGS ON BOTH SHOES SHOULD BE ORIENTED TO THE TOP OF THE BRAKE ASSEMBLY. WHEN INSTALLING THE SHOES ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE, THE SIDE OF THE TRAILING SHOE FLANGE MARKED 17T SHOULD BE FACING OUT AND BE VISIBLE. ON THE DRIVER SIDE, THE 17L ON THE LEADING SHOE SHOULD BE FACING OUT AND BE VISIBLE. "
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
wills250psd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Do you have a lift kit on your cart? that seems to stretch the cables to the max especialy with new shoes. Just a thought
wills250psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
candlweav
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for writing back. I believe that the adjustors are on the correct wheels. I had opened them, cleaned them, lubed them, and then collapsed them. The shoes are all soundly seated in their grooves. Your info on the designations is GREAT. I'll pull the drums tomorrow and check it all out.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
candlweav
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the idea but nope, no lift kit.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . not all brake shoes have the "17T"/"17L" designation stamped into them . . I installed a set (non-CC) that did not have this designation and had to rely on comparing the new ones to the CC originals that I removed for orientation . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car