lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

Default A simple reverse question for a DS Owner

I think I have a 1988 DS. It has a refurbished tag so I cannot cross reference the serial numbers.

When you put it in reverse, do the cart go or do you have to press the pedal to make it go?

If you press the pedal, does it go one speed or faster as you pres the pedal.
big nd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A simple reverse question for a DS Owner

The throttle is a variable input whether in F or R. Your 88 may have 1/2 power in reverse. It is a function of how the F&R is connected to the power source.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

Scotty, thanks for the response.

When I put the F/R switch to reverse the reverse contacts sparks and the cart will go in reverse. I figure I have a wire in the wrong place but I cant get it right.

I know it should go through a solenoid and all my solenoids are good. If the solenoid was stuck open it would spark with the current going through the switch and not the solenoid.

I have downloaded the wiring diagrams from the stickys and it has not helped me.

The throttle is controlled through 5 micro switches that are engaged when you press the gas pedal. It would seem to me that it would turn on and off the solenoids in reverse or forward. So my problem is that the reverse lead is in the wrong terminal on the F/R switch. I have it wired just like the diagram.

Unfortunately all the wiring was undone when I got the cart. Forward works fine and no one around here has one like it.

The motor had 4 terminals. One is ground and what are the other 3 for. If it has 2 windings, one would be forward and the other reverse right?

Sorry for rambling on but such a simple problem has been plaguing me for 2 weeks.

Big ND Fan
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If your contacts are sparking as you change the F&R selector you've probably got a stuck-closed primary solenoid. It should open upon changes in the F&R. That's the reason for the "Anti-Arcing" microswitch on the back of the F&R. Inspect the micro and make sure it's working properly. It could be stuck closed as well and making the solenoid stay closed. This is the general vicinity of your problem. You must find it and correct it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

David,

Thanks for the reply. Once the F/R switch is moved in position, the voltage goes through the micro switch and switches on a primary solenoid for either forward or reverse. Right?

The primary solenoid should be the one all the way on the drivers side?

Thanks
Big ND Fan
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
LJ12530
Gone Wild

The attached drawing is not exactly what you have, but the concept is the same. If you look at the back of the F/R switch you should note that the micro switch "lever" opens/closes as the F/R switch is moved. The switch should be closed when the F/R switch is in F or R position and open when it is in the neutral position. Make sure the micro switch opens/closes as the lever is moved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg clubcarwiring19701edc60tj4.jpeg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

When I got the cart there was no switch and the wires were connected. I put a new switch in and it does close when the F/R switch is engaged.

So the power comes from the key, through the mirco switch (when engaged) and then to the primary coil to energize the circuit?

I will check again but when the car is in neutral, I have power to the primary coil. I hear the solenoid click on when I put the switch on even though it is in the neutral position. Is it supposed to do that? Shouldn't the micro switch prevent that?

I do not know if the jackleg I got it from swapped the wiring. I think that is why I am having so much trouble.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
big nd fan
Not Yet Wild

All the diagrams are in black and white and do not have any wire colors. I am no sure if the wires coming from my speed limit switches are hooked to the right coils. Anyone have a picture or wire colors? I have a 1988 DS Electric.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
LJ12530
Gone Wild

From my research the micro switch should prevent exactly what is happening in your cart. In neutral the circuit should be open.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
LJ12530
Gone Wild

Didn't this diagram help?
I have a pdf of a part list document that shows the wiring diagram, part numbers and colors. I'll try to pm it to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CC F&R DIAGRAM.jpeg (38.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car