lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
Dannybarrios
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 precident w subaru efi motor surging

I'm looking for some info and help. I have a 2015 club car precedent with the subaru in it. It runs great till you get around 7 or 8 mph. When you try to run faster, unless wide open, it will miss like its running out of gas then take back off. It will continueto do this every few seconds... Does anyone know what the fuel pressure is supposed to be? It's getting 35 to 37 psi. Fuel filter is good, tank is cleaned, new spark plug, new fuel lines. I havent been able to find much info online. If you floor it it will speed up and most of the time hold it. Sometimes you will get a sputter but its mainly just at normal cruising speeds. I was thinking the fuel pump might be bad but at full throttle it runs better than it does at lower speeds. We ran the cart with a pressure guage on it and it stayed in the 35 to 37 psi range even when missing. Im new to the gas carts and efi. Sorry if i rambled on a bit.

Recap.....what should the fuel pressure be?
Where to start troubleshooting for the motor missing like its running out of gas or loosing fire possibly?
Dannybarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2015 precident w subaru efi motor surging

Fuel pressure sounds good. It's a golf cart, not a race motor, so anything over 30 is perfectly fine.

What kind of spark plug is in it?
Have you or anyone else made any adjustments to the throttle linkage or governor cable to try to make it go faster? Almost sounds like the behavior of a sticking governor cable. Check that and make sure it moves very freely.

The other possibilities are expensive...
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Dannybarrios
Not Yet Wild

Fairtax4me, thanks for the info. I was hoping I didnt need a fuel pump. It has a ngk plug in it. I will have to pull it to get the number on it. Ill check the linkage as well.

The Previous owner had messed with the linkage and put a clutch kit in. I brought it to a local shop that is a dealer for clubcar. They adjusted everything for me. Before you couldn't ride this thing without it jumping all over the place. The shop got it adjusted to be able to ride, but he said it likely needed a new fuel filter. I took care of the filter. The 1st day it did pretty good when we got it back. The 2nd day it started acting up again, but not as bad as before. It's like it would be running out of gas or loosing fire for a second. Its not jerking nearly as hard as when it went into the shop. Its frustrating because its been to 2 shops and still isn't right. If you floor it it will run for the most part now with out missing a beat(tried last night) its acting up more at lower speeds from around 1/2 throttle. At full throttle though, I dont think its even going 15 mph. I didnt gps it yet but my 48v ds feels faster and it only does 17/18 mph. The speed is fine though, just want it to run right

I had a gas ds a few years back with a kawasaki motor I beleive, it was a great cart but someone had to have it and made me an offier I couldn't refuse. If this one would be carburated I would feel more comfortable working on it lol.

Can you upload a video here?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Videos can be uploaded to several other host sites like youtube, or google drive, etc, but not directly to the forum.
You can post a link to the vid after uploading to the other site.

It sounds to me like the throttle is still not quite adjusted properly. There is a throttle cable available that has a stiffer spring on the end which usually allows the cart to run about 20mph and still have smooth throttle response. Usually when people monkey with the throttle cable under the floor it leads to jumpy starts and rough/jerky operation
Does it jerk around when starting off, or just when running part throttle cruising?
Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ith-subaru-efi

Cable
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
Dannybarrios
Not Yet Wild

Fairfax4me

It starts and stops smooth. No jumping. It also rides extremely smooth at slow speeds. When I got it originally, it would jump real bad when it would start. When it would start it would actually kick rocks up from the tires. It was really bad. It may be just not adjusted properly...... i just checked and the throttle body only opens half way with the peddle pushed to the floor(with the key off). Is that normal? I dont need it to fly down the road. The speed is fine if it would just run right. Ill try ordering that cable and see if it helps. Is there a good video yall know of showing how to adjust the cable? I looked and I smdone see one on YouTube. . Thanks.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I know this is an old thread but I felt the need to impart some knowledge that i recently gained with one of these engines. I had to look at a Kubota RTV400 last week with exactly the same engine and problem. Did all the usual checks for fuel pressure etc and nothing was showing up as an obvious fault until I installed a Colortune plug and immediately I could see the engine was running lean. It started a bit sluggish, Idled perfectly but under load felt like it was running rich and popping and lacking power. But the Colrtune was telling me otherwise. I was getting 38psi from the pump, so not a fuel pressure problem. I suspected a fault with the injector and went on line to find a replacement. DOH! nearly 2000 of your American dollars as you had to get the whole throttle body and ECU as a matched set. No way was i putting up with that, so off comes the throttle body, out comes the injector and rigged it back up to fuel line and wiring. Cranked the engine and only got a dribble of fuel from the injector. I rigged up a power supply to open the injector without pulsing and ran some carb cleaner through it and suddenly the cleaner was passing through easily. I sprayed through again via the nozzle and a lump of something shot out the top of the injector.
I then refitted the whole lot back on the engine and fired it up, took it for a test drive and it ran absolutely perfect. After delivering the machine back to site, I did some research and found the number on the injector matched up with a Subaru car part but no regular supply of the said part. China came up trumps for a change, and i could purchase 4 injectors for less than 50 bucks through Aliexpress. We have several of these machines on our inventory, another has already had a new injector fitted and running fine and I have three more in stock ready for the next one. Changing the injector is literally a 5 to 10 minute job.
I hope this helps some if you with these engines.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:07 AM   #8
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: 2015 precident w subaru efi motor surging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I know this is an old thread but I felt the need to impart some knowledge that i recently gained with one of these engines. I had to look at a Kubota RTV400 last week with exactly the same engine and problem. Did all the usual checks for fuel pressure etc and nothing was showing up as an obvious fault until I installed a Colortune plug and immediately I could see the engine was running lean. It started a bit sluggish, Idled perfectly but under load felt like it was running rich and popping and lacking power. But the Colrtune was telling me otherwise. I was getting 38psi from the pump, so not a fuel pressure problem. I suspected a fault with the injector and went on line to find a replacement. DOH! nearly 2000 of your American dollars as you had to get the whole throttle body and ECU as a matched set. No way was i putting up with that, so off comes the throttle body, out comes the injector and rigged it back up to fuel line and wiring. Cranked the engine and only got a dribble of fuel from the injector. I rigged up a power supply to open the injector without pulsing and ran some carb cleaner through it and suddenly the cleaner was passing through easily. I sprayed through again via the nozzle and a lump of something shot out the top of the injector.
I then refitted the whole lot back on the engine and fired it up, took it for a test drive and it ran absolutely perfect. After delivering the machine back to site, I did some research and found the number on the injector matched up with a Subaru car part but no regular supply of the said part. China came up trumps for a change, and i could purchase 4 injectors for less than 50 bucks through Aliexpress. We have several of these machines on our inventory, another has already had a new injector fitted and running fine and I have three more in stock ready for the next one. Changing the injector is literally a 5 to 10 minute job.
Cartmaster great info and thanks for sharing
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Good info for sure!
Whenever crud gets into injectors it usually comes down to improper or insufficient filtering of the fuel. I know on these the only filter is inside the pump assembly in the tank. I wonder if it would be worth rigging up an external filter that can be more easily changed.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Funnily enough, I fitted high pressure inline filters to both machines i have done so far with no issues. Still works out cheaper than a 2 grand repair LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car