lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How to get IQ motor apart to replace brushes?

Can’t figure out how to get to the brushes on my ‘07 Precedent Motor. As you can see from the pics I’ve got all the screws out on the aluminum end. I’ve pulled as hard as I can by hand, but the armature won’t slide out. Can’t find any videos with this type of motor, or posts about how to do this. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: How to get IQ motor apart to replace brushes?

With all of that corrosion, it's probably stuck on there. The bolts you removed from the aluminum end bell is what holds it together. I would find a piece of wood and tap that aluminum bell up using that slot in your last picture.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Couple taps with a mallet should get it.
You'll need to do the same to get the armature out of the end bell so you can get to the brushes.
They get corroded together pretty good, don't expect it to just fall apart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Couple taps with a mallet should get it.
You'll need to do the same to get the armature out of the end bell so you can get to the brushes.
They get corroded together pretty good, don't expect it to just fall apart.
Thank you Volt_Ampere & Fairtax4me, good advice! I was able to tap out the bell fairly easily. I guess I was being to gentle with it yesterday.

How do you recommend separating the armature from the bell? ...Where would I tap to do that — on the shaft poking through the bell (where I removed the magnet)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-02-20 092636.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Be careful where you tap. You don't want to damage the ball bearing on the end of the shaft. That motor is built differently than the ones on my carts. Mine have screws holding the bearing plate in place so no tapping required. If it were me, I would rig up something to press it out.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Be careful where you tap. You don't want to damage the ball bearing on the end of the shaft. That motor is built differently than the ones on my carts. Mine have screws holding the bearing plate in place so no tapping required. If it were me, I would rig up something to press it out.
Thanks Volt, yeah Ive found a few YouTube videos, but none of those motors were like this one. I know its not rare or anything, just isn't much info out there on how to take it apart. But if anything I feel like I'm being too careful. The Armature just isn't budging like the Bell did. At least when I tapped the bell I could see it slowly moving, but the armature isn't moving at all. I'm going to stop until I have more info, feels like something else is holding it in there.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hopefully some club car guy will jump in to help. Maybe you can find an "exploded view" of your type of motor somewhere. I assume that the outer race of the bearing is just pressed into the end bell. Normally it's not that tight a fit but if it got any moisture in there, it could have got stuck pretty good. The other thing that you could try would be to heat the end bell around the bearing with a torch carefully and see if the armature will just fall out under it's own weight.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

I found a diagram, and it looks like there is a snap ring, but that "should" only be holding the bearing in place correct? I guess if the bearing is pressed onto the armature shaft then it could be what's holding it together. Ill try to see if I can get to that snap ring today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-02-20 111138.jpg (68.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Looks like the bearing has to stay with the end bell then. My motors have all had the bearing stay with the armature shaft when I took them apart. Heat won't work then.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It looks like that ring is on the armature shaft to keep the bearing from getting to close to the brushes. Still think it will pop out.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car