lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
nomogolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brake lights not illuminating

Installing an EPR wiring harness to add improved lighting. Harness has a brake light switch, not a brake peddle pad. Brake light sw. installed but no brake lights. I have disconnected the harness cable from the switch. Using jumper wires I have shorted and unshorted the harness wires. The brake lights never come on, OR, they may be on all the time and I have not disassembled the tail/brake lite assy. to see. No wiring schematic accompanied the kit. Any ideas on what the problem could be, or where a schematic can be found for the EPR wiring kit.

The switch installed so it is compressed against the brake pedal rod. Pressing the pedal extends the switch shaft closing the contacts.
Thanks everyone before hand.
nomogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Brake lights not illuminating

I do know specifically what harness you got, but most are wired to go through a turn signal switch - since the same wire and bulr element(s) are used for brake and turn . There is often a jumper wire that should be installed to work brake lights without a turn signal.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
nomogolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake lights not illuminating

Thank you for your timely reply. I double checked the operation of the brake switch. It is OK. Went to Amazon where I purchased the kit. A number of purchasers had brake issues. It appears that a relay module is included in the kit which is not shown in the directions. It has three spade terminals but says 48V on its side. I have a gas EZGO not electric. I assumed this item was not needed for my install. The Amazon folks state it is used but how to attach the wires under the dash is guess work. I will go out now and try to connect this device and look for favorable results. This module is referred to as a brake delay device.
Rick
Ps. this kit did come with directional signals which function just fine.

Thank you again for your reply.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
nomogolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Brake lights not illuminating

I have found the problem. The EPR street legal wiring harness is very good. However, their installation instructions are very lax when it comes to parts in the kit and describing where they connect. A module with three blade lugs is included with each blade labeled 1 thru 3, and having 48V painted on its side. I believed this module was for an electric 48 volt motor so I didn't mess with it. This module is the time delay module. Thanks to some folks on Amazon who also purchased this harness and had similar problems their comments helped me solve the problem. Not shown on the pictorial installation diagram are three wires residing behind the dash. These connect to the time delay module. No. 1 connects to the black wire. No. 2 connects to the white wire. No. 3 connects to the black wire.. After installing this module my brake lights functioned perfectly. Keep in mind that applying the parking brake also illuminates the brake lights. However, the time delay module connected in this manner extinguishes the brake lights after 30 seconds. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tags
ezgo, gas epr lighting harness, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO