lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Old Piston + New Rings = Too Tight

I have an interesting conundrum that I am hoping that other 2 cycle gurus might be able to help with. Note that my issue is actually with an 80's era Columbia but the Columbia forum doesn't get much traffic. Being that Columbia and EZ Go 2 strokes were very similar carts I am soliciting input here as well.

I recently installed some new rings on an original piston. At .015, ring gap was spot on out of the box. That said, the rings somewhat looked too big in that they seemed to be protruding father out from the piston grooves than I am accustomed to (see pic). As well, when I placed the piston / rings in the cylinder it felt tighter than normal. Still, I got everything seated in the cart only to find out that the starter won't turn the motor. Yes, I had the cylinder nice and lubed up. To confirm that it was, in fact, the cylinder that was the problem, I took it off completely then tried to turn the motor. The motor turned over like a champ without the cylinder on it so the bottom end is fine.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this before? I did some online research and the most promising information I have found to date is that there can be a "conflict" between new rings and old pistons. They should either both be old or both be new. I have ordered a new piston / rings to try this theory out but wanted to pose this to the group as well.

Thanks for any input in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piston.jpg (29.8 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Old Piston + New Rings = Too Tight

You did align the rings with the pegs in piston and not around them ? The former owner of Suzi did that with a similar result
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I should have added that part. For sure, the rings "notches" were aligned with those "groove posts" whatever they are called. This included several "double checks" during the troubleshooting process.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you put the rings bevel side up?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:27 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That's an awesome thought but on this cart the rings are bidirectional. No bevels.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just about every 2smoke engine I’ve built the rings stick out like that when the piston is removed. That looks normal to me.

What’s not normal, however, is the rings binding when installed in the cylinder. You were able to install the piston in the cylinder by hand? I would have thought if it was the rings causing the binding you would have had a hell of a time trying to put the cylinder on to begin with. Not just “tighter than normal” that won’t lock up an engine…

What I would suspect more likely is the head clearance. Have you checked the squish clearance between the piston and the head? I’ve got a hunch the piston is hitting the head and binding there… maybe install the cylinder and leave off the head and try and see if it will spin by hand
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:30 PM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Did you clean out the ring grooves in the piston? I use a peice of an old ring to clean out all the carbon deposit before fitting new rings. If you gapped the rings correctly, it can only be the piston pushing the rings too far out in the bore. If not carbon deposits, then the ring grooves are not deep enough for the new rings.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:58 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Only other thing I could think of is maybe they’re the wrong rings?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #9
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is the starter generator locked up?
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:02 PM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Something needs to be locked up!!!!!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO