lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

Yea, I know. I guess once you taste the voltage it's stay's with you.

My wife never ever said a thing about Ryan and Andrea driving the 72 volt dragster @ 60 MPH on a dragstrip! I built the monster cart for off roading and it's 72 volts and she was like your gona kill yourself in that thing out in the middle of nowhere and I'm not coming after you.

I told her no probably not but what about the kids!
She hasn't had much to say since for some reason.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
[B]Yea, I know. I guess once you taste the voltage it's stay's with you.
Just like the taste of warm blood!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #23
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just like the taste of warm blood!
That's it! Yurtle's officially a weirdo!

I just KNEW he had black painted fingernails!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
larry1961
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I cant wait to see what you get out of tooI also have a need for speed
larry1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #25
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
That's it! Yurtle's officially a weirdo!

I just KNEW he had black painted fingernails!
See, now I look much more sane for just wanting to go 45 on a golf cart.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: D&D PDS High Speed Motor and 8:1 High Speed Gear Experiment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
See, now I look much more calm for just wnating to go 45 on a golf cart.
Yea if 45MPH is calm!
Just a thought though
if 45 is calm what is 60MPH!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Started the gear change today and I though I'd document what I'm doing for any one that hasn't been inside of one of these rear ends. The gears came with zero instructions so hopefully this will help someone in the future. These rear ends are super simple and anyone with a little mechanical ability can do this. The only sort of specialized tools needed are a pair of snap ring pliers and a torque wrench. Thanks to Scotty for holding my hand long distance thru the entire process the first time I ever did this!!!

I'm starting with the basic EZGO electric Dana rear end. This particular one is a 1997 model but they are pretty much the same from 1988 up. I have already removed the brake drums and backing plates so you are on your own on how those come off.

The first order of business was to remove the cover and drain the oil. Then we move onto removing the axles. They are held in with snap rings.

You simply remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers and the axles should pull out with the bearings intact...except for they always seem to be stuck big time in the housing. Scottyb truned me onto remounting the brake drum backwards onto the axle so you can hit the face of the drum using a dead blow hammer to drive the axle out. Works like a charm!

These were really stuck. I was beginning to wonder but they finally popped loose.

Once the axles are removed, there is yet another snap ring and then the axle seal. I'll remove and replace all of these parts. EZGO services these in kits that have the bearing, seal and new snap rings all in one package.

This is how I've figured out to remove the bearings from the axle shaft. Maybe not the right way but it works for me. I open up my bench vise wide enough to support the edge of the bearing and set the axle in the vise. Do not clamp the vise down on the axle. You will damage it!! Just let the jaws of the vise support the bearing and take a block of wood and place it on the end of the axle and hit the block of wood with a hammer driving the axle out of the bearing.

Next we move onto getting the differential carrier out of the housing. It is held in with 2 bearing caps which have 2 bolts each. This is where you will need the torque wrench when you put it back together. These bolts torque to 40ft/lbs. It may not be absolutely necessary, but I like to reinstall the bearing caps back in the same orientation as they came out so I'm careful to keep them straight once they are removed.

Heres the differential carrier out of the housing. These bearings just slide off the shafts. One of these bearings felt like it had a little catch every once in a while when I spun it so I will be replacing all of the bearings after all. You can order them from one of the forum sponsors or from EZGO but I opted to take the old ones to a local bearing house and get replacements there.

More in the next post....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Next thing to remove is the intermediate shaft.

You have to remove the 2 plugs on the side of the rear end center section to get the shaft out.

I just poke a hole in the center of each one and pry them out with a hook tool. Don't forget to order a new pair of these!!

Once the plugs are out you will see the end of the intermediate shaft and the bearings. The bearings are held in with 1 snap ring on each side.

I remove the snap rings and then I use the handle of my hammer to gently drive the shaft out the other side taking the bearing with it.

Note that there are o-rings in a grooves that seal the bearings. You'll want to check them to see if they need to be replaced. Mine look good so I just remove them, clean them and save them for later.

Here's the intermediate shaft and bearings out of the housing. These bearings just slide off the shaft as well.

The only remaining part in the housing is the input shaft. Another snap ring holds it in as well. Sometimes these are a little stuck as this one was. I've figured out that most of the time I can rap on the backside of the housing where the rear bearing is and that will get it moving out of the housing. I actually had to use a long pry bar to gently convince this one to move. I'll be replacing these bearings as well. There is another o-ring in a groove in the housing sealing this shaft as well so inspect and replace if necessary.

And there you have it. A Dana rear end in pieces.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

So now we'll get a start on puting the new gears in. The first thing you will notice about the new gears is that there is only one gear on the intermediate shaft so you will have to remove the large intermediate gear and install it on the new intermedaite shaft. I took this to a friends shop and used his bearing press. I don't know of any other way that is safe to do it. It would not cost much at all to have a shop do this for you if you don't have access to a press.

And here's the assembly with the gear pressed onto the new shaft.

The ring gear is held with 4 bolts and nuts so I simply remove them and slide the gear off the carrier.

I don't have a parts washer but all of the parts that I'm going to resue badly need a serious cleaning so I just use an oil drain pan and some carburetor cleaner to do the trick.

Here's the new ring gear installed on the carrier and the intermediate shaft all cleaned up and ready to reinstall.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

I moved onto cleaning and painting the rear end housing. I could not get the aluminum center section clean enough to suit me so I masked it off and painted it with MRO after all of the sanding and prep work was done on the entire housing and everything had been washed a couple of times with wax and grease remover. I'll let this dry and get the rest of the housing painted this weekend so I can get it back together next week.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO