lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default What are the correct voltages for a 48v charger to go up to before it cuts off?

I bought a used eagle pro 48v 18 amp charger. I want to make sure it's working correctly. I looked online but had trouble finding the info.

What is the safe voltage for the charger to let the batteries get to before shutting off. The LEDs on my charger indicated it was in the finishing stage and the voltage on the batteries read 61v with a meter. I wasn't sure if that was ok so I unplugged it. The voltage then went down to 54.

I know the resting voltage should be around 51 after 12 hours, but couldn't find what they can safely go up to before shutting off.

I just want to make sure the charger isn't overcharging.
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What are the correct voltages for a 48v charger to go up to before it cuts off?

You were almost there. cut off is around 63v no harm in letting it go 65 66 even 67v if you are trying to confirm cut off is working or not... different make batteries have varying cut off points.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Re: What are the correct voltages for a 48v charger to go up to before it cuts off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You were almost there. cut off is around 63v no harm in letting it go 65 66 even 67v if you are trying to confirm cut off is working or not... different make batteries have varying cut off points.

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed it was in finishing mode for a couple hours and didn't know if it was stuck.

I have a unrelated question since you sell parts. I have a 650 amp alltrax, emp motor, 2awg cables, and 48 v upgrade on a 96 ezgo series cart.

The 48v solenoid I had didn't work, so for now I have a 36v solenoid on it and factory f/r switch.

The installer recommended just leaving them in until they quit. He said he has seen them last several years.

Am I losing performance through this, and am I risking damaging something else if it one goes bad while driving?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need a solenoid rated for 400a continuous 48v, a HD F&R or reversing contactor set up and maybe a cart mechanic with internet access
Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Just "leaving them 'till they quit"- yep, sounds good to me. Lol
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Did he offer cab fare and free towing? With advice like that, it seems to me he should have some chips in the game.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

I have seen "proper voltages" exceed 65v for US batteries with the clubcar OBC. I cringe and look away. Clubcar does it with their "program". Ouch, the OBC allows for some high voltages. Look at "battery university dot com" if you want to learn the battery ways.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I would never subject my own batteries to that level. See ya'll tomorrow for discussion time....
Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The problem with using components know to be under-rated or not compatible with your voltage increase and high amp control is failure is not always a boring or convenient event. Murphy's law says when the F&R fails you will be crossing a creek with the flood waters rising, 5 miles from home, near dark, in the rain, and with your wife onboard. Another thought is for safety and catastrophic loss. A welded solenoid can result in a no disconnect situation and some failures can result in controller loss, since the AXE650 has no reverse polarity protection.
All in all you would be wise to upgrade the system components to the specs laid out by Alltrax for the 650 amp control.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The problem with using components know to be under-rated or not compatible with your voltage increase and high amp control is failure is not always a boring or convenient event. Murphy's law says when the F&R fails you will be crossing a creek with the flood waters rising, 5 miles from home, near dark, in the rain, and with your wife onboard. Another thought is for safety and catastrophic loss. A welded solenoid can result in a no disconnect situation and some failures can result in controller loss, since the AXE650 has no reverse polarity protection.
All in all you would be wise to upgrade the system components to the specs laid out by Alltrax for the 650 amp control.

Your convincing me.... Should replace the solenoid or f/r first? It's a street/grass only cart.

Also, I think I know what's going on with the charger. It's staying in the finishing mode for what seems like forever. But the voltage is staying right at 63.3.

In the manual it says if the charger is left plugged in it will do a monthly balance on the batteries with the two LEDs blinking. And then do it each month after that.

How it knows this I don't know, I opened it to look at it, and it doesn't look too complicated in there.

Hopefully that's all it is. I'll update to say if that's what it was.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO