lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
DalusS
Not Yet Wild

Default 3pg with spark and fuel but won't start!

New to the carting scene and bought a 1991 gas Ez-go with the 3pg engine. It has sat for a long time so I rewired the entire cart with the HEI conversion and the spark is great! I then turned my attention to the fuel and replaced the carb fuel lines and pump. I still cannot get the engine to fire over even with giving it a shot of starting fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
DalusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: 3pg with spark and fuel but won't start!

1. Change the spark plug. Have seen carboned plugs that look like they spark but when they get fuel wet they do not.
2. Check for compression. Have seen engines that crank over fine but have no or little compression and will not run.
3. Check the reed valves. Put your hand over the carb and see if it sucks and does not blow back with near the same force. Tiny amount is normal.
4. Possible blown crank seals. Should not suck blow with much any force at all on carb if they have compression.
5. Maybe you do not have continuous spark. Make sure it sparks regularly when cranking not just one or two sparks when starting and stopping cranking. Common issue with hei mod for people to not install the heat sink properly and blow the module. Sparks once when power is supplied and once when turned off.
6. Is your plug getting wet with fuel? Possible problem with the linkage not opening the throttle so not fuel into the engine. Spray some starting fluid into the intake and hold the butterfly open while cranking. Any pops? Starting fluid needs air no air not popping.
7. Is your fuel pump working? Pull the line at the carb and crank it. Any fuel coming out.
8. Is your plug dripping with fuel or fuel exiting the exhaust? Blown fuel pump diaphragm flooding the engine with raw fuel.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
kingja68156
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem.

HEI Conversion
New Carb
New Cylinder and Rings
New fuel pump
Rebuilt starter
BBQed Exhaust
New fuel filter

I've got spark, fuel and compression is 121. Could it be the governor?
kingja68156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If I were a betting man, I'd say crank seals are shot.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try the "string" test. Pull the air intake hose off the carb, hold a piece of string ahead of the carburetor inlet and crank the engine while watching the string. It should be sucked inward, toward the carb. If it pulses back and forth, in & out fairly evenly there is probably a reed valve problem. If it doesn't move much at all it's probably a crank seal problem. The fuel path of a 2 stroke is a bit different than a 4 stroke, so you can have fuel into the carb & decent compression, but NOT be getting fuel into the cylinder.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO