lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
sefaber35401
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Battery Discharge Issue

I hope to make this brief as possible. ..
2010 48V EZ GO MPT1000

Cart was fully charged. I took off charge at 8pm, and loaded on my trailer, in prep for hunting the next morn. (28 degrees F, outside temp). Arrived at hunting land 5:30am the following morning. Cart still showing full. Used the cart for probably an hour, and noticed battery meter had dropped to about the 3/4 remaining. later that day, used for another hour and literally watched the battery meter falling to nearly completely dead by the time i returned to the truck. Never had any issues, added no new accessories. I removed the battery caps and did identify they were a bit low, with 2 of them having a water level approx 1/2 " below the plates. Batteries are 3yr old Trojans. I use the cart maybe once or twice a week for hunting, leisure. Charge after every use.

What could have happened here?
Did i ruin the batteries by operating at low water levels?

Took to my cart guy, he corrected water level and put on charge. after 4 hours, 30%....after 7 hours, 60%.....he felt this was not good and had him worried. ...

Is he just trying to sell me on 8 new batteries?

Any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

thanks!
sefaber35401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Discharge Issue

What happened?

3 year old batteries with more than 1 battery having exposed plates.... Could be!

Cold also robs batteries of some voltage...

Start by taking cart home and place on charger until charger turns off, allow cart to rest 12 hours and record voltage readings from each battery. Return cart to charger soon and charge again in effort to equalize any differences in battery voltage.... Keep a closer eye on water levels and keep checking individual battery voltages. Keep in mind that 100 % charge is 50.9 or 6.37 per battery. Another test is to read battery voltage while driving under a good solid load and watching the voltage dip; the closer to 42 volts you are the weaker the batteries....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
sefaber35401
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Teecro. i did check/fill the water levels back in August, so i know the plates have been exposed for an excessively long period.

The cart guy plans to leave charging all night, in hopes it returns to 100% by morning. If so, he plans to load test the battery pack. ....this should give me an accurate idea of the run time of the batteries, from what I've read.

guess we will see
sefaber35401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You have not put water in since August???? My experience is that when they start using water at a higher rate they are about done though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, discharge, drain
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO