lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Doesn't stop charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is one uninformed Golf Cart shop You should not use any more....

Do the OBC reset (remove power for 10 minutes), then plug and let it charge until the OBC times out or it finishes.

Take individual battery voltages while is still charging and the pack voltage is near +60v so You will know how well the pack is balanced.
Sorry, haven't had time to mess with this for the past day or so. Took the pack pos/neg off last night and left it off all night. Hooked back up this morning, put it back into Run and plugged in the charger (which was also unplugged from AC fwiw). It's been charging for ~20 minutes and has NOT kicked off that I've noticed so far (though I have been in and out of the garage a few times) - just charging steady, started high and tapered off quickly to ~5-6A and has been sitting there.

Before charging volts:
#1 12.85
#2 12.84
#3 12.85
#4 12.82
Pk 51.3

Immediately after plugging in volts:
#1 14.37
#2 14.23
#3 14.28
#4 14.21
Pk 57.5

After 15-20 mins on charger volts:
#1 15.58
#2 15.45
#3 15.67
#4 15.58
Pk 62.4

The batteries are audibly bubbling/gurgling and I can smell them gassing off (rotten egg smell) but they are not boiling over. I have not checked them since the other day when I verified water in them all but at that time they were all watered correctly that I could tell.

I wanted a gas cart...
mike_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #22
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you decide that the OBC is defective I've got a used one I'll sell you for $50.00.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #23
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
If you decide that the OBC is defective I've got a used one I'll sell you for $50.00.
Except now you've ruined my excuse to upgrade the controller LOL
Old 03-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can still upgrade the controller if You want, the OBC is part of the charging system.

The first few chargers after You reset the OBC will take longer as the OBC will use a dV/dT algorithm to charge the pack.

Once the OBC thinks it has enough information about the "health" of the pack, it will start counting energy units used (as measured at the pack negative cable that goes through the OBC).

The information is saved in the OBC "volatile" memory.

When You plug the charger into the cart, the OBC again will count the energy units being sent to the pack by measuring the current where the pack negative cable goes through the OBC.

The OBC will return to the pack approximately 110% of the energy consumed during use.

If at the end of the cycle (110% energy returned) the pack voltage is within the OBC acceptable range, the charging cycle ends.

If the voltage at that time was not within the acceptable range, the OBC switches again to dV/dT algorithm to finish the charge.

If at the end of 16 hours the charging cycle has not ended, the OBC shuts the charger OFF and blinks an error code on the battery warning light.

If You have an IQDM reader, the OBC logs if the last charge cycle finished normally, switched to dV/dT or timed out.

If the charging cycle ends normally, It appears that everything is working as designed so far.

As You use the cart and run a few more charging cycles, You will be able to verify if the OBC is charging the pack properly once it switches to the energy counting mode.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You can still upgrade the controller if You want, the OBC is part of the charging system.

The first few chargers after You reset the OBC will take longer as the OBC will use a dV/dT algorithm to charge the pack.

Once the OBC thinks it has enough information about the "health" of the pack, it will start counting energy units used (as measured at the pack negative cable that goes through the OBC).

The information is saved in the OBC "volatile" memory.

When You plug the charger into the cart, the OBC again will count the energy units being sent to the pack by measuring the current where the pack negative cable goes through the OBC.

The OBC will return to the pack approximately 110% of the energy consumed during use.

If at the end of the cycle (110% energy returned) the pack voltage is within the OBC acceptable range, the charging cycle ends.

If the voltage at that time was not within the acceptable range, the OBC switches again to dV/dT algorithm to finish the charge.

If at the end of 16 hours the charging cycle has not ended, the OBC shuts the charger OFF and blinks an error code on the battery warning light.

If You have an IQDM reader, the OBC logs if the last charge cycle finished normally, switched to dV/dT or timed out.

If the charging cycle ends normally, It appears that everything is working as designed so far.

As You use the cart and run a few more charging cycles, You will be able to verify if the OBC is charging the pack properly once it switches to the energy counting mode.
An excellent explanation. And hey, guess what... It stopped charging. Been about 2 hours. Each battery is 13.5-13.55 and pack voltage is 54.0.

I pulled it off the charger, turned it on, made sure the reverse buzzer kicked in etc. etc. then shut it off and plugged it back into the charger. I will start leaving it plugged in all the time when not in use and checking the water more diligently (every month or two).

It's been charging for about 5 minutes but I assume it should shut back off again within a little bit if everything is working properly. I'll check it again and report back shortly.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #26
mike_d
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d View Post
An excellent explanation. And hey, guess what... It stopped charging. Been about 2 hours. Each battery is 13.5-13.55 and pack voltage is 54.0.

I pulled it off the charger, turned it on, made sure the reverse buzzer kicked in etc. etc. then shut it off and plugged it back into the charger. I will start leaving it plugged in all the time when not in use and checking the water more diligently (every month or two).

It's been charging for about 5 minutes but I assume it should shut back off again within a little bit if everything is working properly. I'll check it again and report back shortly.
Went upstairs, came back about 10 minutes later and the charger was off.

So, I think we're kosher! Apparently I was either a) overly paranoid or b) it was pissed off from sitting as long as it did and needed a reset/swift kick in the ***.

Thank you everyone for the help!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #27
Brandon C.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys, new member and new CCP owner. I've had my referb 2011 for a little less than a year and just started having the same problem two months ago. I bought it off a guy I used to wrap carts for (like graphic wraps) and he got it from a big shop in SC. It's still under warranty, so I keep sending it back and every time I get it back after two charges it does the same thing. We've changed out the OBC, reset the new one twice, replaced the charger and even switched out the speed controller and magnet because it felt like it was a little jerky when I drove it.

I just got it back last sunday and after 2 charges it's back to charging to 5-6V and staying there without kicking off. Batteries start to bubble, sulfur smell, all the same things you guys have mentioned previously. Any advise what it might be outside of the things they've already tried? I'm going to have them come back and get it again, but I'm just getting frustrated.
Brandon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #28
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Did you let it charge until the charger shut off . Sometimes up to 16 hour Shift?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #29
Brandon C.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

To answer your questions no, not 16 hours (I used to, but not since it started doing this)I'll explain below.

So I just got a call back from him and he said he talked to his company in SC and they're having the same issue with some of their other carts and it appears to be the batteries. He said I need to "cycle" them 20-30 times and that should fix the problem.

My main concern with running the batteries out and then letting it charge the 16 hours (or overnight for that matter) is the possibility of a fire. Since it sits at 6V and just starts cooking the batteries I'm concerned (truth is my wife is SUPER concerned) about catching the house on fire. is this a possibility?
Brandon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car