lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Something burning?

97 CC DS series

My cart has been sitting a lot lately, but with a battery maintainer hooked up. It seems that the last two times I took it out, the reverse worked OK, but it took a long time before I could get it to go forward. And when it did go forward, it took off with a jerk (not me). Both times. As I am driving it, usually floored, going a bit over 20+ mph, I smell something of a burning smell. Not a burnt plastic, but still something kind of burning, maybe like a hot clothes iron? It is not a strong smell, but I can smell it while I am moving. I have looked under the seat, but haven't noticed anything melted and can't smell it when I am stopped. Because it is now jerking in forward, could I be over heating a electrical contact of some sort? Something that might be getting hot enough to melt to itself so that when I first start out, it might have to break loose before the cart will move forward? Could it be one of the micro switches? Tell me that it is NOT the controller.
I have driven it to the store a couple of times and did not have any trouble when on the return trip. It responded and moved properly after I left the store from shopping. It only seems to be doing this after sitting a week or so after being parked in the garage. And the batteries are not even a year old.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Something burning?

I'd take a really good look at the F&R switch. Look carefully at the pivot contacts where the orange and blue wires are hooked to the back of the switch. Often, the plastic will get hot and melt around these contacts. You'll be able to see it pooled up around the base of the copper pivoting contacts. Also, the same can be said for the connections on the front of the switch where the blue and white wires are attached. You're gonna have to pull the switch off of the body to see this, but it's worth a look. If you see any sign of melting, replace the switch. I recommend a good Heavy duty switch.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'd take a really good look at the F&R switch. Look carefully at the pivot contacts where the orange and blue wires are hooked to the back of the switch. Often, the plastic will get hot and melt around these contacts. You'll be able to see it pooled up around the base of the copper pivoting contacts. Also, the same can be said for the connections on the front of the switch where the blue and white wires are attached. You're gonna have to pull the switch off of the body to see this, but it's worth a look. If you see any sign of melting, replace the switch. I recommend a good Heavy duty switch.
Sorry it took so long to update. I completely forgot to follow up on this.

You were totally right. It was exactly as you stated. The contacts got hot and melted. When they melted, they recessed back far enough that it was not getting a connection, no power flow. Installed a new switch and cables and it fixed it. Thanks.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Sorry it took so long to update. I completely forgot to follow up on this.

You were totally right. It was exactly as you stated. The contacts got hot and melted. When they melted, they recessed back far enough that it was not getting a connection, no power flow. Installed a new switch and cables and it fixed it. Thanks.
I could see it all the way from Georgia!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

When something smells like it's burinng around me, it's usually me!
A hunk, a hunk of burning love!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car