lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
atomicdogg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 42 vs 48 Volt upgrade for 2009 EZGO PDS

Unfortunately it's time to replace my batteries and I'd like to do a control and voltage upgrade at the same time.

What are the advantages of 48V vs 42V?

Is 48V too much for my stock motor to handle?

My cart is pretty much stock other than a rear seat, hd rear leaf springs and lights. I plan on adding bigger tires and wheels 20"-22" and depending on that a lift kit.

It's primary usage is on paved trails but it will see some grass from time to time.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
atomicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 42 vs 48 Volt upgrade for 2009 EZGO PDS

48V is much more standard. You need new controller, new batteries, new charger to handle any change in voltage so I would go with 48V. Your motor does not have to be changed but you eventually may want to upgrade that too.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
48V is much more standard. You need new controller, new batteries, new charger to handle any change in voltage so I would go with 48V. Your motor does not have to be changed but you eventually may want to upgrade that too.
What he said. Although now a days, I think you can get a controller and charger that will handle both 42 and 48 volts. So you could go 42 and upgrade later. But for me, why wait?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock PDS motor reacts kind of violently to 48v. It's fast and strong but it's giving 110% all the time on 48v which is not what you want from an electric motor for the long run. Great for racing and bragging rights but - 48v will shorten the useful life of this stock motor.
42v is much kinder and gentler to the motor and it still spins it up fairly fast. I have built several 42v PDS carts and customers love them. Currently my go to cart is 2008 PDS 42v with XCT500 and D&D motor. Tons of torque and 25mph on 20" tires.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I converted mine to 48v nine years ago. Ran the 36v Series motor for 3 years on 48v, never an issue. It got warm at times, but nothing you couldn't leave your hand on warm. That took my unlifted cart to 20mph. Later I added a custom wound Plum Quick motor that increased my torque AND took me to 24mph on an admittedly heavy cart (8-6v batteries, rear seat, MDF roof stereo box, my fat butt.....

Duh, just noticed the PDS part. My bad.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Theoretically, 48V produces 16.7% more speed and torque than 42V, but as Scotty mentioned, it is rough on a stock PDS motor.

If you go with an Alltrax XCT controller, you can program it to limit the max RPM and max amps to be gentler with the motor and reduce the likelihood of burning the motor out.

When it is time to replace the 42V battery pack I'm running, I'll probably go to 48V. I already have more torque than I have traction and can rev the motor beyond the manufacturer's max RPM recommendations, but I'm pretty sure my cart won't slow as much from its top speed (RPM limited by the controller) going up steep hills if I up the pack to 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
atomicdogg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the replies.

So I've got a disagreement between ScottyB and JohnnieB....what to do?

JonnieB, are you saying the 42V pack you have now gives you more torque than your tires can handle i.e. spinning them at take off? Could this be the smaller tires and aftermarket motor?

ScottyB, if I went the 48V route can the XTCxxx controller be programmed not to be violent on the stock motor, or is that out of the question?

I'll definitely be adding larger tires and a 12V converter if that makes any difference. Tires will probably be 20's and the converter will be used for lights and cigarette lighter to power a small air compressor.

Thanks again for all the advice!
atomicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

I don't know if I would say they are in disagreement. I think what they both are saying is you will be very impressed with 42 volts. The problem is, in the back of your head, you will know that there is more to be had.

Right now I have a recently converted cart that out preforms what I need. But I don't have the right field map in it. Even though I don't need any more preformance, it's going to drive me nuts till I get it. If you are like me, don't waste your time. Go 48 right off.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With stock height (18") or shorter tires, you can take a stock PDS motor to the max recommended RPM at 42V. With my 17" tires, I could over-rev my stock on level ground and I exploded it when I had a brain fart and tried to find out how fast the cart would go on a long, steep downhill.

RPM alone didn't kill the motor, it was singing a happy tune at a bit over 8200 RPM until I lifted my foot and the regen braking kicked in. When the motor went, it took the DCX400 controller with it.

At 48V, I calculate I could have created the same conditions on level ground that I created going downhill at 42V.

The XCT has RPM limiting, so the RPM my motor can reach at 48V is no longer an issue that precludes me from going to 48V with 17" tall tires.

If I was still running a stock PDS motor, I'd probably stay at 42V, however with taller tires, the max RPM a motor can reach is lower, so 48V may be a viable option, especially with an XCT controller that has RPM limiting.

Let's put it this way: With stock PDS motor and 20" tires, 42V provides about all the performance most people desire and lasts a long time, while 48V is more of a "fun while it lasts" type upgrade. (The silver lining to that dark cloud is the cart is setup for an aftermarket motor. )
--------
When I mentioned I have more torque than traction, I mean the tires slip before the motor stalls going up steep hills. I have the Throttle Linearity, Speed and Torques programmed not to spin the tires on grass.

You are correct, the torque I have is the result of 42V, short tires and an aftermarket motor. I have a bit over twice the torque of a stock PDS cart off the line and about 55% more at the top end.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I don't know if I would say they are in disagreement. I think what they both are saying is you will be very impressed with 42 volts. The problem is, in the back of your head, you will know that there is more to be had.

Right now I have a recently converted cart that out preforms what I need. But I don't have the right field map in it. Even though I don't need any more preformance, it's going to drive me nuts till I get it. If you are like me, don't waste your time. Go 48 right off.
message sent
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO