lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default First cart, used, I'm broke, what to do first?

Got my first cart. 97 EZ-GO 36V. Batteries are there but bad.

Has a lift on it and larger tires. Can't get the history as it was part of an estate thing. Just know it supposedly ran when parked a year ago.

I have VERY limited funds to spend on this thing but could really use it to get around my 5 acres because I'm busted up from a hit and run motorcycle accident. I'm healed but still pretty screwed up physically. Have wanted a cart for years, hopefully this will be fairly inexpensive to get moving.

So my question is this; "What do I do first?"

I could take the body off and clean things up and paint and all that but it is not necessary to get it moving. I could get new batteries but that does not necessarily mean that would be a good investment cause the motor could be bad or it could have other problems that would be beyond my financial abilities to handle.

I see there are a lot of people here that upgrade every part of their carts, are the original parts usually for sale and how would I find people that have these parts in my area (East side outskirts of Dallas).

See carts for sale on CL but not parts.

What would you do first? I am considering wiring three car batteries together to see if the cart will drive. Would that be a good place to start or is there a better place to begin?

If there is anyone in my area (ZIP 75173) that may have parts, please watch this thread and let me know if you have something I need.

Thanks to all.
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: First cart, used, I'm broke, what to do first?

Yea three 12v car batteries will work to test if it's working. I wouldn't plan to drive it like that long though.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if there is a wanted/for sale section here or not? Never looked. Those are always good sections on any forum though but some forums don't like them as they either think it hurts the pay sponsors ot some cases I have seen administrators that didn't want anyone making money on Their site but them. Not saying either is the case here just what I have experienced before.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Clemsoncartguy,

I was thinking the car batteries for testing to be sure things worked. If It drives with car batteries then I would feel better about getting real batteries. Trojan 105's have been recommended by a local cart company.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Warner View Post
... What would you do first? I am considering wiring three car batteries together to see if the cart will drive. Would that be a good place to start or is there a better place to begin?
Got to start at the very beginning and that's the batteries so do that before you put forth any more more $$$ that you don't have...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
crash test dummy

bob
there is a forsale /wtb area
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/
we can help but be advised that some parts do cost money

clemson ... you need to look around and see what bgw is about
we offer all the help you can get
we offered parts for sale at very good prices... some are just shipping
the sponsors are a very helpful bunch of guys
the admin only asks that we not sell anything commercial
Old 05-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Helirich
Gone Wild

Good plan to start. Then you will need to identify your cart better. (97 EZGO is not enough)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just to be clear, I don't plan to get this thing going for free. I just have limited funds and have to go about this the best way possible. If the motor is no good, buying batteries would be a bad idea. I certainly do not expect free. If I can't afford something it will wait until I can or can arrange a trade of some kind.

If I need something that can be made I will make it, I have a very well equipped shop for welding and fabricating.

I may take me a year to get this going but I want to be sure that the money I spend is spent wisely. I can't do like some people and just spend freely until I get what I want. Never been in that position and don't expect to ever be so I do what I can, when I can.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Bob, I'm out of Kaufman TX. If theres anything I can do let me know. I dont have any batteries to speak of but might be able to help with other stuff if the need arises.

First thing you do is get the right schematic or manual for it (look in stickies for the links to manuals) Then do a motor check. I'd imagine its just crap batteries. I know this is a disputed view on battery "rejuvenation" but...I had gotten an old Club Car that had crap batteries...I had some "Minn kota battery equalizer" given to me by a vendor...so what the heck ya know....can't hurt to try it. Had absolutely nothing to loose at that point. I would NEVER do it to a good set of batteries. It actually brought them up a bit and the kids had fun...for about a year. I tried it on a truck battery and it lasted another year until it got cold again. None of that stuff like that will make them new again but it seemed to help them some. Use distilled water ONLY or the right battery acid. Charge them 1 at a a time or if you only have a 12 volt charger then charge 2 at a time. If the battery has an internal short theres nothing you can do but replace the battery. You can use 3x12volt batts...crap run time but will get you around nonetheless.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Bob Warner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cart identification clarification:

EZ-GO Serial # 1029758
Textron

Agusta, GA Manf # C1497

I am told it is a 1997 TXT
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO