lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Occasional Backfire 1998 4 stroke TXT

1998 TXT 4 stroke almost finalised this restoration.... mechanically have replaced driven clutch, drive belt, starter/gen belt, solenoid, voltage regulator, starter/gen brushes, gear change cables, cleaned carb, plugs, checked all wiring, new fuel pump & filter .... but have occassional backfiring...... have read through various threads here then checked carb butterfly is closing fully when accelerator pedal is released & adjusted valve gaps to .004 per manual.....plugs appear normal on removal. Any ideas gratefully received ???
Macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Occasional Backfire 1998 4 stroke TXT

If it's running too rich or the carb float level is too high, raw gas might be getting in the exhaust and igniting causing the backfire.
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post
1998 TXT 4 stroke almost finalised this restoration.... mechanically have replaced driven clutch, drive belt, starter/gen belt, solenoid, voltage regulator, starter/gen brushes, gear change cables, cleaned carb, plugs, checked all wiring, new fuel pump & filter .... but have occassional backfiring...... have read through various threads here then checked carb butterfly is closing fully when accelerator pedal is released & adjusted valve gaps to .004 per manual.....plugs appear normal on removal. Any ideas gratefully received ???

Be sure that the carb butterfly doesn't open ANY before you here the micro switch click while pressing the accelerator down.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your suggestions I will check carb again & also the timing of butterfly v microswitch operations....& let you know results....with thanks,
Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions I will check carb again & also the timing of butterfly v microswitch operations....& let you know results....with thanks,
This link is a good read if you haven't already seen it .

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...4-strokes.html
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the link....I will read up on it.....initial inspection tells me that microswitch/solenoid activation is either OK or at worst simultaneous so perhaps I need to back off the butterfly operation by adjusting the various linkages...best read up before I play with it...thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for link.... that primarily focuses on the governer adjustment which I understand.... I dont want to make this cart go faster at the moment just to stop the occasional backfire..... there are a few linkages between that mechanism & the accelerator >carb butterfly should I be shortening the main bar or lengthening it to try to marginally delay the butterfly ?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
Macanudo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Once again a big thank you to all contributors to this thread. I have now solved the problem. I did adjust the carb linkage to marginally delay butterfly moving until after the solenoid kicked in.... I also re-checked & re-adjusted the valve openings...voila....all good...power perfect & no backfires... thanks folks
Old 07-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Once again a big thank you to all contributors to this thread. I have now solved the problem. I did adjust the carb linkage to marginally delay butterfly moving until after the solenoid kicked in.... I also re-checked & re-adjusted the valve openings...voila....all good...power perfect & no backfires... thanks folks
You're welcome,now go out & enjoy .

Tags
backfire, restoration, txt ez go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO