lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 Brakes

My "project" G1 (Circa '87-'89) has been grabbing a little on one side when I apply the brakes, so I decided to change out the shoes.

On both sides the lower front shoe is worn almost bare, but the rest of the front and all of the back appear to brand new. Since I have no idea when the PO changed them, I don't know their age.

Does anyone have experience with the wear patterns on G1 brake pads? I've attached a couple of pics to show the wear. Basically what I am trying to figure out is (1) this normal, (2) problem with shoes, (3) problem with installation, (4) other. I hate to have to change shoes with so little wear except for one spot.

Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeftAssmbly.jpg (150.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FrontPad.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RearPad.jpg (129.3 KB, 0 views)
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Brakes

brakes were improperly adjusted
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
brakes were improperly adjusted
Thanks GCG. Adjustment?

I've got the manual for 1981 G1A, and the square adjustment piece inside the brake plate works great. As far as my G1-AM (for which I don't have a manual), there does not appear to be any adjustment mechanism, like the G1A. What am I missing?

Could you briefly explain the adjustment procedure for the later G1s.

TIA,
Ogre

Added: The 1st pic is the inside brake mechanism. The 2nd pic is the outside rubber cover. The 3rd pic is the cover removed ... only thing there is a bolt to hold the brake mechanism to the backing plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (154.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1113.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.jpg (161.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by OgreTX; 08-30-2016 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Whoops forgot the pics ...
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes, the forward brake shoe will alway's wear out first. If you look at the actuation of the self adjusting system, the assembly slides in the direction of the brake cable throw. Back off the brake pedal equilizer rod adjustment, install new shoes, adjust "star wheel" adjuster till a "slight drag" with the drum installed, readjust the brake pedal equilizer rod adjustment for correct pedal feel and park brake latching and you good for many more years Hope you bought OEM brake shoes...aftermarket one's have a tendancy to not "grab" the brake drum well.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Dave.

Just to make sure about my conundrum ... once the drum is placed over the shoes, the "star" wheel is enclosed and cannot be adjusted. Every time the brake lever is moved, a small lever (post 3, first pic, lever under wheel) clicks the "star" wheel to a new setting. It rotated right on left wheel, and left on right wheel. (Left threads on the right wheel.)

One problem I did see that might have caused it was when I was working on my buddy's G1. The bolt in pic three above was tightened on mine, and his was loose. It appears that it needs to be loose, to better contact all around the shoes . When the PO tightened that bolt, it locked the brake lever "mechanism" in one place, and when the lever was pulled, the bottom front shoe moved much further than any of the others.

Does any of that make sense? I can't see any other adjustments once the drum is placed over shoes.

Ogre
Old 03-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

This has been saved in my subscribed threads for awhile and I finally got a chance to do brakes on my yamahauler. Like stated here the adjustment setup is different on the 82 and later carts but I don’t see mentioned is the 82 and later carts use a different brake shoe set and has a leading and trailing shoe with the longer shoe installed at the rear. The after market is 4244 and 4245. The long shoe being 4244. OE shoes are labeled 17T and 17L for J17 aka 82 and later. 17L is the longer shoe that goes to the rear.

My brakes were worn like above and the shoes were installed backwards
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha