lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
WVCartMan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 Marathon Struggles Uphill

Thanks LOU,

Are the pucks available after-market? If so, do you know where I can get them? Is there any particular way that they need to go in?

It looks as if it would take 9 pucks instead of 3 since there are 9ribs (See attached image). Your thoughts?

I'm also assuming that I need a cover for the clutch as well.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0913.jpg (161.8 KB, 0 views)
WVCartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
racin161
Gone Wild

There are only 3 spaced equal and they are equal weights. The weight can be changed for different preformance. This type clutch is also used by snowmobile people. Hope this helps!

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
WVCartMan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info LOU, every little bit helps.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
WVCartMan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey guys,

I decided to spend the money and order a new drive clutch. Cost me $230.00 including the shipping.

It took some effort to get the old clutch off. It's been on since 1983 and didn't want to come off.

I used the old retainer bolt (a new one came with the new clutch) and countersank the head so my gear puller had somewhere to center on. I then screwed the bolt all the way in (the bolt is a little long and stuck out by about 1/2" when fully seated) and I attached my gear puller to the starter/generator belt pulley.

I got the gear puller as tight as I dared and it didn't want to budge. So, I broke out my big propane torch and heated it up to about 185 degrees F, just hot enough that you couldn't hold on to it.

At this point it was starting to creek, so I tightened down on the gear puller one more time and it popped.

I cleaned up the drive shaft from the rust and dirt that had accumulate over the years and it's now ready for reassembly this weekend.

So, finally, here is my question:

Since this clutch was so tight coming off of the tapered shaft this time I was wondering if it would be a good idea to Never-Seize it before I put the new clutch on. My concern is that there is no key for this shaft so it's only held with tension. Putting Never-Seize on the shaft will introduce a small amount of lubrication to a taper fit. However, if it ever needs to come apart again it won't stick nearly as badly.

I figured I'd ask before I put it back together again.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

I have had a new clutch fall off before. I thought I had that sucker on tight with my 3/8 ratchet, and when I did a few start/stops the momentum of the clutch backed the bolt right off the shaft. My vote is no lube. You are going to want it stuck on good and tight.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
Dangerousdan55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Never, Never, NEVER! Lube a taper. Spent 34 yrs working at the Shell Refinery. We dealt with tapered fit all the time.
Also never heat a tapered hub before you install onto a tapered shaft.(you'll crack it or next time you'll be cutting it off the shaft.
Dangerousdan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
van the man
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If mine falls off one more time I'm putting lock tite on it! Bolt threads and shaft both
van the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
Micjmmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Big difference with the new clutch?
Micjmmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, clutch, fuel pump
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO