lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stereo Install...and other miscellaneous wiring questions

I'm a big fan of everything being neat and functional and I hate a lot of extra wires hanging out everywhere so this is just the beginning I'm sure. Amazon prime has been utilized and several boxes of goodies will be here come Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Smee112488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So here's a potentially dumb question...I've got my shipment of goodies in today and I'm going to start wiring up my switches. I'm running 6 ga wire from aux battery to fuse block positive and negative, what kind of wiring would you use to daisy chain the pos and neg of switch panel? And what size fuse? I'm using the marine 12 way fuse block with ground

Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

That usually depends on the items that are being wired. I've elected to go with 14 gauge since that is what my relays came wired with, so i just matched it. It is probably overkill. Most any accessory would be fine with 16 to 18 gauge as well. Always better to go a little on larger side.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

One of many of my boxes of good things, excuse the red light as its standard police issue. Lol

Old 02-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Stereo Install...and other miscellaneous wiring questions

So 14 ga is good enough for the power from the fuse block to the switch panel for the main power to all the switches? I have (5) 4 pin rocker switches and (1) 2 pin dual USB charger

Old 02-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Buy a marine grade fuse block, as it's designed for corrosive environments, and also has a negative bus, as boats are fiberglass, unlike cars.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yep, that would be smaller wires. The only wires I have going to my "roof" are two pair of 1kV for my Xenon wig-wags, a pair for my Barney Fife rotary siren, a pair for my stereo, a pair for my dome light, and a pair for my rear light.
Been away for a few days. I forgot the pair for my ExRay. And my stereo needs three, not two. Forgot about the memory wire.

I doubt if an ant could squeeze his way up either of my front roof supports, they're so full. The biggest hogs are the wig-wag cables, as they are two medium voltage, two conductor round cables.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee112488 View Post
So 14 ga is good enough for the power from the fuse block to the switch panel for the main power to all the switches? I have (5) 4 pin rocker switches and (1) 2 pin dual USB charger

I may not have understood you, but the point of a fuse block is so you "can" have separate fuses for each switch (load). Not necessary, but if my siren blows a fuse, all I lose is the siren and horn, but everything else works, like lights and tunes.

As to wire size, depends on the total load the wire would see. I typically round up if I'm close.

I use a lot of 14 and some smaller, for my LED dome light and rear light. However, I have nearly half a dozen fused circuits.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #19
Smee112488
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Yurtle. I've split it to where the only ones that are daisy chained now are my underbody and interior led lights. I also got my switch plate mounted tonight. I was originally going to mount it in the center of the dash but everything is so hard to get in there and work I decided to mount it on the glove compartment door. It will normally stay locked, but if I need to work on it all I have to do is open it up and go to town. Also it allows me to get the switch panel back into my work zone and aids in the wiring process. I understand that in doing this I am losing a cubby hole, but I look at it as I am gaining a neat, dedicated wiring bay.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Wow, that looks great. You've got twice the number of switches that I have. Hope they're rated for outdoor use. Usually not a problem unless you live near the coast or leave it parked in condensive atmospheres.

I don't know, but a convertible car left outside should be worse than a buggy left outside.

Edit:

Oops, just noticed that your post was two pics, so I saw double what was installed.

I ignored anything besides the switches. If it ain't electrical, I tune it out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO