lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 won't turn off or accelerate

Hi! My 1991 Gas Yamaha G9 golf cart is doing something super weird. When I press the gas pedal, it starts up but does not accelerate. It's like it's in an idle but this cart doesn't have idle. The other thing is that it won't turn off. When I let off the pedal, it is still in this idle mode. Even turning the key off doesn't stop it. I have to pull a battery cable to make it stop and when I put the cable back on, it arcs. I am assuming I have a short, but it's hard to locate because of this condition. Any advice as to where I should start to look would be greatly appreciated.
tonic405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: G9 won't turn off or accelerate

I had this problem myself, I had to replace my voltage regulator..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I was gonna say the same. Try unhooking the voltage regulator, & see if it starts working normally, minus charging...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

And check your throttle cable, mine did the idle thing when it broke. Though I set my cart to idle some do not.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wonder if its possible something is wrong with the solenoid or stop switch too?
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The power to run goes to the key, then the pedal, then to the start solenoid. So turning off the key kills the pedal. The only thing I know is a shorted VR can do this and back feed the ignition and make it run.

I guess the start solenoid could be sticking on maybe, never seen it but maybe. Mine would not start when it went bad, I would stomp on the floor in front of it and then cart would start that is how I knew it was bad. It only lasted 23 years.

I don't know why it wont go and 'idles', unless the starter is going but the engine is not running or ignition is turned off. When mine idles I can tell if it is running or just the starter, but then I have the idle set faster than the starter it sounds different.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
tonic405
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking voltage regulator. I think I'll start there. The solenoid and starter are all less than a year old.
tonic405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
...The only thing I know is a shorted VR can do this and back feed the ignition and make it run.
In such case, and IF the VR is making his job while on way, it should be possible to fix it with a diode, or even a relay on the b/w wire, don't you think? By far cheaper than a new VR!

This being said... I do not see from where it would feed back.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This has happen to me twice now, two different carts, G8 and a G9, and replacing the VR fixed the problem, releasing the peddle and turning off the key will not stop it from cranking the starter, you have to unhook the battery, the engine will run this way but it also doesn't charge the battery..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmonkey17 View Post
This has happen to me twice now, two different carts, G8 and a G9, and replacing the VR fixed the problem, releasing the peddle and turning off the key will not stop it from cranking the starter, you have to unhook the battery, the engine will run this way but it also doesn't charge the battery..
I thought it was when the engine is not stopping from "running", I mean on petrol, not by the starter...

..but even, it would suppress any "back feed" if it is the trouble.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha